Dosage Change? Skip tonights insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Karrie Molitor, Sep 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Karrie Molitor

Karrie Molitor Member

Today I did a curve on Rambo and at 2:30 pm (central time, 6 hours after am shot) he tested so low that the AlphaTrak2 meter would not read his blood glucose number. I tested him a second time to make sure it was legit and received the same message. Gave him a small amount of maple syrup and some dry food. He is on 1.5 units of Lantus twice a day. I just increased his dose at the beginning of August. However, I ended up with COVID and have struggled to get back on my feet for almost a month of testing positive so I have not tested his blood glucose levels. His numbers at 3:15 pm were 104 and at 3:30 pm were 109. At 4:45 pm it was 216 and at 7 pm it was 311.

I know this requires an insulin reduction? I am thinking 1 unit but should I just skip his insulin tonight and start fresh tomorrow?
    https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1UGnfuVYwxGt1gjduLVzkoMO7SIvHtnO1ytjI3kWr5HM/edit?usp=sharing

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Can you fill out your signature please so members won't have to keep asking you
    I hope you are feeling better :cat:

I will tag some members for you about the dose

Go all the way up top to you name tap on it and a drop box will appear , you will see the word signature, tap that and just add all your information about Nani and hit save.

Take a look at my signature all about Tyler all signatures are at the end of everyone's posts in gray

Add info we need to help you:
    • Caregiver & kitty's name
    • DX: Date
    • Name of Insulin (do not include dose or frequency)
    • Name of your meter
    • Diet: "LC wet" or "dry food" or "combo"
    • Dosing: TR or SLGS or Custom (if applicable)
    • DKA or other recent health issue (if applicable)
    • Acro, IAA, or Cushings (if applicable)
    • Spreadsheet link. Please put the signature link on the bottom line of your signature information, on its own, so it is easy to find.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2021
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If it's not too late, I'd go ahead with the 1U dose for tonight...just remember that if you shoot now, you have to adjust his schedule tomorrow. You can work your way back to your chosen shot time by 15 minutes per cycle or 30 minutes per day.

Now he's bouncing. Bounces happen when 1. they drop too low, 2. they drop too fast, 3. they drop into numbers their body isn't used to anymore (or any combination of all 3 like Rambo did today!)

The liver releases stored sugars and hormones to bring the blood glucose (BG) up fast...and it doesn't much care how high it goes either! It can take up to 6 cycles (3 days) for those hormones and sugars to clear out again so don't think in the next few days that it looks like he needs to go up in dose again.

Do you have syringes with half unit marks? We usually suggest doing dose changes in .25 unit increments. There's no such thing as a syringe with quarter unit marks, so most of us just do the best we can to eyeball it

ETA....on your spreadsheet, just put LO ....when the meter says "LO" it means the BG is below 20. You'll have to color code it the lime green yourself though.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

6. Karrie Molitor

Karrie Molitor Member

IMG_0964.jpg IMG_0965.jpg
    These are the syringes I use for insulin.

7. Karrie Molitor

Karrie Molitor Member

I gave him his insulin 30 minutes late. I gave him only 1 unit. I am hoping this does the trick. I will adjust the insulin time accordingly since I gave him it later tonight.

8. Karrie Molitor

Karrie Molitor Member

I filled out my signature. And thanks I am feeling better. Still have fatigue and shortness of breath but they say that takes a long time to get back to normal.

9. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Those are U100's but they don't look like they have half unit marks. I used to get mine at WalMart for $12.58/100. They have 2 different packages depending on where you live. You can use either 30 or 31 gauge.

upload_2021-9-8_21-30-47.png

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks for doing your signature, I'm glad you're feeling better and yes they do say it takes a long time to get back to normal, I hope it's a speedy recovery
    Since you are feeding some dry you have to follow SLGS dosing method ,that will dictate when to increase or decrease , here is the link to read about it at your convenience
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/thr...-low-go-slow-slgs-tight-regulation-tr.210110/

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

12. Karrie Molitor

Karrie Molitor Member

Do I need a prescription from the vet for those syringes? The ones I currently use I needed a script for in order to pick up at Thrifty White. They don't have half unit marks on the ones I use so I eyeball it.

13. Lando demando

Lando demando Well-Known Member

Hi Karrie, i am a nebie myself, but will tell you my experience. I am in california and only ONE pharmacy ( a small independent one) carried the syringes with half marks. In CA you do not need a prescription for syringes by law, but i found many pharmacists said i did need an RX. i ended up ordering online with no RX and that was the easiest solution for me. I also used calipers as shown on one of the threads in the meantime. Hope this helps

14. Diane Tyler's Mom

you will need a script for the half unit markings, Get it from your vet to bring it to Walmart or call ADW Diabetes and have them call your vet so she can fax one over and get refills on them

Last edited: Sep 9, 2021
    Lando demando likes this.
  15. April & Quincy

April & Quincy Member

I never need a script for half unit marking syringes from Walmart. I can just walk in and pick them up.

16. Karrie Molitor

Karrie Molitor Member

Thank you all for this information. Not sure if I should start a new thread or not but was wondering if I should do another curve on Rambo? I haven't been able to test as often as I have hoped but his levels still seem high but sometimes go down to the 200ish level. Let me know what you suggest. I haven't made a check in appointment with my vet yet. They always tell me I need to put him on prescription food and I just don't feel like that is the solution. He has already been on classic fancy feast pate since June so I don't see how the spendy food will change anything.

Lando demando likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.