Dose adjustment advice please.

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Holtfam6, Sep 6, 2022.

1. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

Hello

Been doing pretty good with managing chance. Switched to a new vet. Showed her our flow sheet and she said she's never seen someone so well prepared and managing cat diabetic. Gave you guys all the credit. Anyhow, can someone look at Chance's numbers and see what you think? It looks like he may need a .25 increase but somethings making me question it. Thank you all so much! @FrostD

FrostD likes this.
  2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

It does look like he needs a .25 unit increase, provide you can keep up the good daytime testing and perhaps get in at least one night time test. I guess no more night tests lately because no more Libre? From the data that you have on your spreadsheet, it looks like there would not be danger in a .25 unit increase.

FrostD likes this.
  3. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

I use the libre off and on. We've hit a bad bunch with them lately. Last one lasted 8 days. Gets kind of expensive for that. I like them for a curve. may slap one on him tonight. Much easier at 2 am. Chance has been getting feisty with his blood checks lately. trying to bite at times.
    Never a dull moment.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  4. Suzanne & Darcy

How’s he doing otherwise? Gained any weight? Eating well? Playing?

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

More blues and yellows, so glad to see it!

The only thing that gives me pause is that 117 today, and some of the lower blue preshots. It's possible he nadired before/after that and was closer to 90-100...and knowing they usually go lower at night, those AMPSs indicate he was probably lower during the night. With that 165, he could have very easily been near 50 at nadir that night.

Tough choice, your call. I personally would prefer you wait til you can apply a Libre (or get the night tests), and do the increase then

6. Suzanne & Darcy

I am good with that. Definitely would like to see some nighttime data.

7. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

Thanks all Libre on. I had the same thoughts so doing the night time info tonight. He's doing good. Our old vet's office got taken out by a tornado so he's unable to see patients. Found a new vet. Chance has gained 2 pounds since his diagnosis. The new vet would like to see him gain 2 more pounds so we are working on that. it's hard because he always seems hungry. Not sure if we are feeding him or the sugar. We moved him up to 1 1/2 cans fancy feast pate. at 2 he gets one can of fancy feast pate. We found some tiki cat pate that he likes. We give that at night and he eats a full 5.5 ounce can at bedtime with his night insulin dose. This seems to have helped his hunger. He was really bad for awhile there begging for food. Our vet wants to review numbers every four months. My daughter decided that shed rather bring him in and check his weight too.

FrostD likes this.
  8. Suzanne & Darcy

Weight gain is soooo good. That will help him. I’m glad to hear this! I remember when you first joined. He wasn’t in great shape. I know that having the whole family helping makes the difference.

Holtfam6 likes this.
  9. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

No he wasn't. Thankfully we found this group. It's made all the difference for him and us. We've gained so much confidence in treating him thanks to all you guys sharing your knowledge. We still have a ways to go but we will get there. Chance has overcome so much in his life. abused in a prior home, dumped at a shelter, horrible URI and tube feeding when we rescued. Months of trying to get him to eat on his own. not to mention the money spent and now diabetes. God willing, we will get him in remission. Also, the new vet is not opposed to changing his insulin but feels he's getting good results with prozinc so wants to continue for 4 more months and then re evaluate. We will be reaching out to you as it gets closer for feedback.

FrostD likes this.
  10. Suzanne & Darcy

I really think he would have an excellent chance at remission if you switched to a depot insulin like Lantus or Levemir. God bless y’all for rescuing him!

Holtfam6 likes this.
  11. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

i started a curve. Did give 4.75 units this morning. I'm assuming we are bouncing? Any advice? Should i do 4.5 units this evening?

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Please correct the spreadsheet as it says 7.75 instead of 4.75 in the units column. Boy, that got my attention. It sure does look like he’s in a bounce right now. Nothing to do but wait it out. I hope to see what happens tonight, although it may not tell is much as long as he’s still bouncing. I hope your Libre will last the maximum number of days.

FrostD likes this.
  13. Suzanne & Darcy

If you wanted to see how he was doing on the 4.5 units during the night, then you can shoot 4.5 although, again, we may not see much other than bouncing. Whichever dose you decide to go with, give the same amount morning and evening. If you want to go back to the 4.5 dose and monitor then give 4.5 tomorrow morning as well. Of course, if he throws you an oddball low number you may have to make adjustments, but I am saying this based on him continuing his recent patterns.

FrostD likes this.
  14. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

I'm home tonight and since the libre is active, I went with 4.75. He just ate 5 ounce tiki cat which should help hold him tonight. I'll get up a few times and spot check. Do have the libre set to alarm below 60 and will check blood if alarm goes off. Fixed the spreadsheet, that is a big whoops and attention getter! I'm starting to notice the patterns with him. I notice if he's below 200 but above 100, if I don't give the full dose of insulin, he'll be sky high that day and it's more difficult to bring him back in. Really trying to get him to be more steady in his numbers and not the drastic swinging which he is known for.

FrostD and Suzanne & Darcy like this.
  15. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

So my dry food a Holic found the extra bag of dry dog food I hid in the basement and I’m pretty sure broke into it and feasted for a few days before I discovered his party. His numbers were higher during his party time but now are coming down slowly. He’s due for an increase according to his numbers. I’ve sat a couple days and monitored hoping for the dry food to clear. Am I right to increase or just monitor? Just to let you know his libre is still on. there's a few times we checked him by blood. those numbers are documented with an asterisk before the number and not colored. @Suzanne & Darcy @FrostD

Last edited: Sep 13, 2022
    FrostD likes this.
  16. Suzanne & Darcy

Hi! When did you discover the party was going on and put a stop to it? :woot:

17. Suzanne & Darcy

He started to see those blues today. I think I would wait another couple of cycles to see what was happening before doing an increase.

FrostD and Shelley & Jess like this.
  18. Holtfam6

Holtfam6 Member

We stopped the party about 4 days ago.