? Dose increase tonight 1/4/21 Chicamonkey AMPS 343/+2 351/+11 327/PMPS 348/+3 328/+4 303/+9 258

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Suzi and Chicamonkey, Jan 4, 2021.

1. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Suzi and Chicamonkey Member

2. JOJI and Kit

JOJI and Kit Well-Known Member

good luck w the increase :bighug:

Suzi and Chicamonkey likes this.
  3. Butters & Lyla

Butters & Lyla Well-Known Member

Yesterday was a great thread! I've bookmarked that one. We all benefit when people ask questions, so thank you!

Good luck with the new dose!

4. Suzi and Chicamonkey

I just sent another one :)

Butters & Lyla likes this.
  5. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

If I understand your question, you wonder if moving a cat from a higher carb diet to a lower carb one could cause renal issues? Is that right? Or do you mean has the HC diet and diabetes set them up for kidney issues?

First, cats, unlike humans, are obligate carnivores. That means that high carb food is not good for them. They do better with diets rich in good quality protein and fats and very minimal carbs. Changing the diet from HC to LC, especially when the change is from dry food to canned or a balanced raw diet only benefits the kidneys. One of the worst diets for cat kidneys is dry food. Cats evolved as desert animals and they don’t drink as much water as they should, generally. Feeding a wet, canned or balanced raw diet, allows the introduction of additional water to help the kidneys. It is a known fact that if cats, in general, have a “weak” organ, it’s the kidneys.

We don’t know exactly if the diabetes affects human kidneys and cat kidneys the same. Certainly, from a physiologic standpoint, when the BG is high enough to spill sugar into the urine, it’s not a good thing. In the 10.5 years I’ve been here, I can’t say that I’ve seen a higher incident of diabetic cats with CKD than the general population of cats.

Interestingly, we have found that diabetic cats often do better with a canned or balanced raw diet that is 6-10% of calories from carbs. The main reason for this is because the carbs work to flatten out the effect of onset of the exogenous insulin.

Did I answer your question?

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  6. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Good luck with the increase. :)

7. Suzi and Chicamonkey

Yes,. You did... in depth ! Thank you!
    Alternatively, diabetes left untreated for a long time.... or treated but glucose but well controlled ...
    Does that contribute to other things humans experience such as eye/vision damage??

8. Marje and Gracie

Marje and Gracie Senior Member Moderator

Diabetes left untreated in cats can cause really bad neuropathy. I’ve seen cats pass away from hyperglycemia when they were not receiving insulin therapy. At risk is also developing ketones and DKA.

I am not aware of any cats on this board that have developed cataracts or other eye damage from diabetes and some of the cats were diabetic +10 years. Never say never....I’m sure it could happen but we I can’t think of a case right off the bat. I would also suppose that an acro cat could have potential eye or other issues associated with the acro.

9. mausen

mausen New Member

Just an fyi(just joined): I got my guy at 16 yrs, unmeasurable sugar. He’s 24 now, but has developed cataracts. Too delicate for surgery now. Between age and diabetes, who knows?