? DOSING ADVICE! Dropping pmps bg with no insulin??

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Becca84, Dec 9, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Becca84

Becca84 Member

I need some dosing advice. I got home from work and got her meal ready and fed her methimazole in baby food and then I pricked her. Her first PMPS was 208; I stalled w/ no food and retested 15 mins later; its dropped to 198. I drew up her insulin for 1.25u vetsulin, but I feel I need to give her less. Please help! I am really in a time crunch here. Thanks!

2. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Id go 0.5. It looks like 1 was too much last night... But you don't have too many mid cycle numbers. Can you get a +4? Can you get mid day numbers on weekends or whenever you are home?

Diane Tyler's Mom and Becca84 like this.
  3. Becca84

Becca84 Member

I went 1u last night and 1.25u this morning cuz her amps was 250. Still 0.5u?

4. JanetNJ

You hold the syringe, but last night she dropped 130 points in just two hours on 1 unit ... With 3-4 more hours to drop. I'm willing to bet she was hypo last night.

5. JanetNJ

Becca84 likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Looking at SS. BRB...

Mogs

Becca84 likes this.
  7. Critter Mom

First up, I think the 1.0IU dose is now too high. Given that Candi was at 96 at PM+2 last night then it's odds-on she went under 90 - possibly a lot under 90 - later in the cycle and earned the reduction.

Therefore the maximum dose she should be on is now 0.75IU. Giving a 0.5IU dose tonight should provide a bit better of a safety margin. If it were to prove to be not enough then the dose can always be increased to 0.75IU later.

What do you think yourself, Becca?

Mogs

8. Critter Mom

With the range that Candi is running in at the moment, I'd strongly recommend solely using the nadir BG to determine dose, not the preshot readings. Vetsulin can be very good at yanking those PS BGs right back down again.

Mogs

9. JanetNJ

That higher am number could be from going too low the night before too.

10. Critter Mom

Agree.

Mogs

11. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah I'd go with the .5 tonight too

12. Becca84

Becca84 Member

So I had my boyfriend give 0.5u about 30 mins after last bg test and about 15 minutes after she ate. She ate a very good amount of food. So i'll be getting a +2 or +3 to see where she is at. Also it is about time to get another vial of insulin. The vetsulin seal was broken 10/22. I will get the vet to call in a script to chewy for the prozinc. I can't take her dipping like this with my schedule. It is getting to dangerous.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  13. Critter Mom

I don't envy you the anxiety, Becca. Must be very hard. :bighug:

The +2 should tell you where Candi's heading in case you might need to intervene with food, but if you could hang on and get the +3 as well it might give you a good bit better of an idea of how low the dose might take her in the lowest part of the cycle.

Mogs

14. JanetNJ

ProZinc does tend to last longer and a bit gentler than vetsulin, but you do know that the insulin is fine in the fridge for like 4 - 5 months, right? It should be good until feb-March.

Last edited: Dec 9, 2020
    Critter Mom and Becca84 like this.
  15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

With vetsulin you should wait 30 minutes after they eat and then give insulin

Becca84 likes this.
  16. Becca84

Becca84 Member

I couldnt remember when you guys said. Between chewy and my vet it might take til march to get a script there tho. I had problems with getting her methimazole from chewy, they (my vet and chewy) tend to blame each other. She also had a bad nose bleed today. I'm not taking her back to get on antibiotics again and have this whole not eating thing happen again. So I have her sitting in a sunroom with a humidifier. Hoping that will help.

17. Becca84

Becca84 Member

I usually do but this time I had to go head and since it was a small dose and I'm home and she ate a very good amount, I had to go ahead and give it to her.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  18. JanetNJ

If you have dry heat that could cause it. Was she sneezing? Do you suspect a respiratory infection? My vet is terrible about getting back to chewy. I found I have to call the vets office and remind them to approve it.

19. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Yes. She sneezing constantly and has been sneezing for at least 6 months. Last night she sneezed back to back no less than 6 or 7 times. I felt so bad for her. I keep telling the vet about it. The last time she blew a blood bubble out of her nose and the vet put her on clavamox drops and it just tore her stomach up and caused nausea. It was a mess. The vet believes it to be viral. Tonight tho she was eating and blood just started dripping into her food bowl. I had no idea where it was coming from, and it was from her nose. I have never seen it that bad. We have electric heat. :(

20. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Poor baby :bighug:

21. JanetNJ

She's not allergic to something? Like a plug in air freshener? Are her white blood cells elevated?

Becca84 likes this.
  22. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

THH & Snowcrash (GA) Member

How are her teeth? My cat Ethel was sneezing constantly for over a year and we finally figured out she had a bad canine tooth. It was extracted in a dental two months ago and her sneezing has all but stopped. We did a lot of antibiotics with her too, even had her sedated to get xrays done of her nasal cavity!

Critter Mom, Becca84 and JanetNJ like this.
  23. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Since the vet thinks it viral they say theres nothing really they can do? I don't do air plug ins. I do candles but I've had the same brand around for years. I understand an allergy can develop at any time tho. They haven't wanted to do anything blood related except the glucose. Should I have them run a CBC? Everytime I have taken her to the vet they just examine her and tell me its viral and when I tell them I see blood they rush to put her on an antibiotic.

THH & Snowcrash (GA) likes this.
  24. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Her teeth aren't good. But they want to get her glucose under control before they start messing with her teeth.

25. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

Her bg may not be controllable until her teeth are dealt with though. A chronic infection will elevate her bg.

JanetNJ, Critter Mom and Becca84 like this.
  26. Becca84

Becca84 Member

@Critter Mom @JanetNJ at 2+ 114

JanetNJ and Critter Mom like this.
  27. Becca84

Becca84 Member

Do you think I need to ask for some blood work to be done?

28. THH & Snowcrash (GA)

A cbc may be helpful. Even if the URI infection is viral, if he's sneezing that much he may be starting with a secondary bacterial infection that could warrant an antibiotic (azithromycin is one that was used a lot for URI at the rescue I was with) or need an antiviral medication (famciclovir is one I've seen used for severe herpes infections).

29. Becca84

Becca84 Member

I will do what is necessary. But she had such a bad experience on the antibiotic around 11/14. You can see on the SS she stopped eating and I freaked and skipped insulin and just an entire mess. I hate to put her through that again.:(

30. Critter Mom

I asked my vet to prescribe ondansetron when the Noodle was on co-amoxyclav. She'd have starved without it.

Mogs

Becca84 likes this.
  31. JanetNJ

If she needs a dental do it. Her numbers are regulated. Even if they weren't if she needs it she needs it. My cat had had three dentals since becoming diabetic.

Becca84 likes this.
  32. JanetNJ

A couple times a day put her in a small bathroom with either a vaporizer or hot steamy shower. I had a kitten with pneumonia and did that, plus gave her saline nebulizer treatments. I put her in a carrier with a towel on top and ran the tube of the nebulizer into the front gate.

Last edited: Dec 10, 2020
  33. Critter Mom

Thanks for this valuable tip, T.

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.