Dosing advice

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by EarthyCarbonCookie, Apr 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EarthyCarbonCookie

EarthyCarbonCookie Member

Carl's numbers were consistently in the 200-300+ range at the beginning of the month. The vet said to increase his vetsulin to 2U and do curves for a week or two and let him know. I didn't want to do an increase that big plus I was not going to be able to fully monitor him, I went with 1.5U from the 10th to the 15th and his numbers were lows in the lower 200s and highs were less than 300. I was only able to do limited testing from the 10th to 15th, just checking around 6 hours post shot, it was low 200s I think 206 was lowest. I don't have it in my spreadsheet because I can't find the notepad I was keeping it on.

On the 15th, I moved to 2U, because his numbers started to creep up, where his lows were in the mid to high 200s and his highs were approaching 400. on the 17th his low was one 128 +11 hrs. after his 2U. I was concerned about that.

On the 18th he had no appetite and his numbers stayed in the high 300s with a low of 306. This morning the 19th his pre-shot was 524. I'll be able to do two more tests before I have to leave for the doctor but will continue testing and updating once I'm back.

Part of me thinks that this roller coaster is with the bottle of insulin. The whole mess started when he got into the regular cat food but also at that same time I opened a new vial of vetsulin. It's been crazy ever since.

I'd really like to get him on something else like Lantus but I don't know the exact way to ask for it. I think my vet will work with me on changing.

But more immediately, because that process won't be fast, I need to figure out how to help get Carl's numbers down. I feel like I'm doing something wrong.

Also Carl stopped eating the Fancy Feast and he's eating Purina Pate because he'll eat it. He always has a fresh bowl of Dr Elseys Clean Protein but he doesn't eat much of it. He gets chicken, fresh cooked or freeze dried, for snacks plus a couple tablespoons of pate at testing time.

My original thread https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/vetsulin-bouncing.245019/

Thanks for your time.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You could try just telling your vet that you were doing some research on feline diabetes and came across the 2018 AAHA Diabetes Management Guidelines and found specifically that the recommended insulin's are Glargine (Lantus, Basaglar, Semglee) or ProZinc and that you'd like to try the Lantus

That way you're not saying that you're listening to a bunch of crazy cat ladies on the internet ;)

3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi there , if you do switch to Lantus, you can buy it from Marks Marine in Canada
    It's much cheaper. You can call them and give them your vets phone number and they will contact them. Your vet can fax the script over. After that when you need refills you won't need another script

I'll give you the info just in case you don't know about them
    It's very expensive in the US

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Marks Marine I would get the 5 pack of the solostar pens, depending on the dose you give they will last you over a year. The expiration dates will probably be 2022 and 2023
    Just keep them in the fridge middle shelf
    Also you will need U-100 syringes with half unit markings
    We increase or decrease by 0.25 units
    With the pen you can only do 1 unit increases or decreases
    We just stick the syringe in the rubber stopper in the pen and draw the dose you need

https://rxcanada4less.com

Lantus Solostar PEN CAN (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) *single pen open box* Brand 100iu/ml one pen 3 ml $49.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Cartridges 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $159.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus Solostar PENS 5x3ml per box (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 15 ml $164.99 USD
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] Lantus VIAL Insulin (10ml per vial) (temp. gauge. ice pack, express-air mail) Brand 100u/ml 10 ml $110.99 USD

6. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

I see you're doing different amounts am and pm. That could be throwing off the numbers.

I'd say do 1.5 both am and pm for a few days and let's see what happens. If it's not enough than we will raise it.

EarthyCarbonCookie likes this.
  7. EarthyCarbonCookie

Just came from the vet! “His numbers aren’t stable“ oh you think?! They did a whole bunch of bloodwork CBC, liver, fructosamine. The vet agreed to switch him to Lantus! But put on the script to start out at 2U twice a day. I don’t think so. He’s a big kitty, he did weigh 20.1 pounds but now he’s down to 18.8.

The Young Again Mature order came and he loves it!

I'm going to gradually up his dose - a couple weeks or so ago a different vet at the practice said do 2U in the morning and 1U at night because his nighttime numbers were lower so I stayed with that because they insisted on doing the fruc test before considering an insulin change. Since it will be a bit before the Lantus gets here, I'll still be using the vetsulin on him.

I did 1.5 tonight, approximately, I need needles with half marks. I'll keep testing.

For those that test every hour, how in the world do you keep your cats ears from looking like meatballs!? Carl has had it, he had a long ride, it's 90 min to vet, then we waited THREE HOURS and they don't even do emergencies there! Then 90 min home. He's over this day. I will test again later since I did an increase tonight and will go from here with your recommendations.

Thank you

8. JanetNJ

You are still off balance with the two doses and this is throwing off his numbers.

esp when you move to lantus they are supposed to be dose equally.

as long as you are careful not to hit the vein in the ear there is no bruising. I tested my cat 4-6 times a day for four years and her ears were fine.

EarthyCarbonCookie likes this.
  9. EarthyCarbonCookie

Thank you, I should just go straight to 1.5U for each dose then? Then based on what his numbers are when the Lantus arrives, figure out that dose?

10. JanetNJ

I'm inclined to try 2 for each shot, but if you are more comfortable starting with 1.5 for a few days and see what happens that would be fine. Would it be possible to get a test before you go to bed so we have a better understanding of what is happening in the evening? Esp. since you are goign to be raising the pm dose.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.