Dosing advice?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Leslie & Louie, Sep 7, 2022.

1. Leslie & Louie

Leslie & Louie New Member

Hello,
    Some of you kind people on this board gave me encouragement and advice earlier this summer on my new member post.
    Since then, Louie and I have not been making progress as quickly as I would like, but we're still trying. We had a few false starts with testing, where we seemed on track, then both got stressed out and frustrated, had to take a few days off, and try again. But, we've finally gotten to where I can pretty consistently get a number without both being traumatized. So, that's a plus. We also switched to a different vet in the practice to supervise his diabetes care and she was very supportive of the home testing.
    About a week ago, she recommended upping his dose from 2u to 3u. We have done that, and have finally seen some blues on his chart. His PS numbers were still high and I was starting to think maybe he was bouncing from the sudden drop. Then we had a very bad Monday that included a fur shot plus his vial of test strips accidentally getting thrown away. :-( By the time I resupplied and could check again last night, he was way lower than usual for PS. I stalled, but he stayed low, so I ultimately skipped the shot, figuring it was safer to err in that direction than otherwise. This morning he was back to a PS number typical of his recent history, so I shot again, but dropped back to 2.5u, thinking that the jump to 3 was maybe part of the problem. I also had the chance to WFH today, so I tried to do a curve for the first time to get a better idea what his pattern is within the cycle.
    I am waiting for a message back from the vet about her recommendation, but I would love to hear from the voices of experience here. My instinct is to hold at 2.5u for several cycles to see if consistency at that does evens out what looks like bounciness to me, without dropping him below 200 @ PS. But, again, I'm just learning what I'm doing, so I would like to know if that seems reasonable to those with more experience.
    I think I have successfully Louie's spreadsheet to my signature, but I'd also appreciate feedback on whether that link is actually working for others.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

If it were me, I'd hold the 2.5U for at least 4 days. I think the jump was too big; it's possible the 3U was ok, but it sure was making him bounce like crazy (which is what you saw in your curve today).

The 154 PMPS is what makes me lean 3U is too much, he was very likely low earlier in the cycle. It's possible it was a late nadir, but better safe than sorry!

Leslie & Louie likes this.