Dosing dilemma

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Nikk2413, Mar 8, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Nikk2413

Nikk2413 New Member

Hi all,
    My sugar baby was diagnosed back on 2/8 and we have gone down from 3U now down to 1U however his evening numbers are in the normal range so I haven’t been shooting him for over a week in the evening. Could you all look at his spreadsheet and give me any advice. I’m waiting to hear back from my vet.
    Thanks
    Nikki

2. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

He's responding well to the insulin. However, it's better for him if he gets insulin both AM and PM so his body isn't being exposed to high BGs overnight. I suggest you lower the dose to 0.5 u and give it both AM and PM. The hope is that this lower dose will give you a PMPS that's high enough for insulin. A few days of data should tell you whether 0.5 u is a decent dose or not.

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
    JanetNJ and Nikk2413 like this.
  3. Kris & Teasel

Kris & Teasel Well-Known Member

I see that going down to 0.5 u has allowed you to give insulin both AM and PM. We really need to see how low a dose takes him to properly evaluate. Try to get some tests between +4 and +7 on days off and a before bed test on work days. I'm guessing here because there's no nadir range data but it looks like you'll need to try 0.75 u (eyeballed) soon. Get those other tests on several days first, though.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.