? Dosing Help Needed for Valentino tonight

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Tillie and Valentino, Apr 4, 2021.

1. Tillie and Valentino

Tillie and Valentino Member

Hi all,

Valentino has been full of surprises lately. Yesterday morning he was at 140 so I skipped his dose. Last night preshot was 323 so I gave dose. This morning it was 222 so I gave a half unit less but he still dipped down into the 50s. He also seemed to be a bit unsteady as he walked to his dish, so I gave Karo and high carb food. Probably too much as he is now up to 344. Not sure what to do for his shot tonight - If I should decrease more than a half unit or even withhold after what happened today. If someone in the know, @JanetNJ or @Wendy&Neko , can take a look at his chart that would be so helpful.

Thank you in advance! I will be feeding/shooting around 9pm and will be out until then so may not see this until later.

thank you!
    Tillie

JanetNJ likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I'm afraid I'm not well versed in Prozinc, but I'd take his dose down to 2.25 units at least. Might be SRT kicking in - it's not very predictable so caution is key. You might want to add the date of his SRT to your signature. The dose isn't that important in the signature and is out of date now anyway. :)

Tillie and Valentino likes this.
  3. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

I have no experience with acromegaly or SRT. But the SRT was 3 months ago. @Wendy&Neko , does the SRT take that long to have an effect?

I also recommend reducing the dose by 0.25U at a minimum. So down to 2.25U like Wendy said.
    With that low of 53 on the Alphatrak, Valentino earned a dose reduction. So please take it.

Good thing you have the Alphatrak as backup to the Libre. When the BG's drop that low, that gives you a more rapid way to check the BG levels, especially as you attempt to bring his BG levels back up with food and the Karo corn syrup.

I'm wondering if Valentino has been dropping low mid-cycle, before you put another Libre back on him.

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

It can, full effect can take up to two years. He's already down from his peak of 3.5 units, so something has been happening. The annoying thing is that SRT works by neutering the tumour cells - so you see dose action when the cells die off. No way to predict when that'll happen. It can also come in fits and spurts, followed by pauses.

5. Tillie and Valentino

Exactly, @Wendy&Neko. I've seen some fluctuation over the last few months but not consistent. It will just all of a sudden be low. Hoping that now after 3 months, I might start seeing more consistent reductions. I erred on the side of caution and gave just 2 units tonight. We'll see what the next few days brings. Thanks for the suggestion on the signature- I will update that.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  6. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

With a bit of hindsight, I would not have recommended skipping the insulin shot this morning.
    A token dose could have been given, if you did not feel you could have given Valentino the full 2U dose.

Wendy, thanks for the info on the SRT taking up to 2 years to have a full effect.

7. Tillie and Valentino

Hi Deb & Wink, Yes, I agree. I had called my vet and she said to withhold his shot this morning. She said she wants me to if it's under 200. Seems like I could just give a smaller dose if that's the case. Tonight he was at 337 with no shot, so I have the 2 units the same as last night. We'll see if this is enough for now.

Thanks for looking at it!

Deb & Wink likes this.