Dr. Elsey's cleanprotein vs Fancy Feast Classic Pate

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by jmichaelp, May 24, 2024.

1. jmichaelp

jmichaelp Member

My cat wouldn't eat on his own so I'd been syringe-feeding him FF. Dr. Elsey's was recommended, so I intended to use this to get him to eat on his own (which he did very well) then transition him to eat wet food on his own using FortiFlora.

Dr. Elsey's seems to be causing a big spike in BG despite being ≈ 1.4% more carbs than FF. Obviously I can't use it any more. Has anyone else experienced a problem with using this food?

2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I haven't heard of anyone running into problems with Dr. Elsey's. I can see when you started the Dr. Elsey's -- how long did you give it a trial for? Some cats have a reaction to any change in their food. You may need to give it a few days to see if numbers come back down.

jmichaelp likes this.
  3. jmichaelp

jmichaelp Member

Thank you for taking the time to look that over. I switched him three times, each time the numbers jumped the next day. The first time he ate slightly more calories than he should (for his former weight) & the third, a lot more (I had to take the bowl away). The second time I mixed in syringe-fed FF Pate.

I have to give him dry food that he'll readily eat. I'm able to syringe-feed him enough for his current reduced weight, but it's killing my back & he doesn't always like it. He's got to eat on his own & dry food is the only way right now. Wet food is aspirational, not realistic. I'm slowly increasing his Lantus dose to try to compensate. I don't want to increase it too much/fast but high BG wipes him out & puts a strain on his kidneys (CKD cat).

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

The other option for a low carb dry food is Young Again Zero Carb. It's not really zero carb but it's low. They will also send you a sample to try out.

jmichaelp likes this.
  5. jmichaelp

jmichaelp Member

Ok, thanks. Just looked them up & requested a sample.