Dumb question from a new person about test, feed, shoot

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Abby and Bandit, Oct 17, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Abby and Bandit

Abby and Bandit New Member

Why is it test, feed, shoot? Why not feed, test, shoot, or test, feed, test, shoot? Our vet has said feed, test, shoot is what to do but I am not seeing that mentioned here. Trying to read everything and not be stupid; it may be posted somewhere but I have missed it. Thank you.

Laura & Dorian Grey likes this.
  2. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Abby,

Welcome to yourself and Bandit. :)

To answer your question, in order to determine whether it is safe to give the next dose of insulin the preshot BG check needs to be free of food influence (fasting BG), hence the recommendation to withhold all food for two hours prior to each preshot test. If a cat is fed before the preshot BG test, the reading would be temporarily elevated by food so you would not be able to gauge how far BG levels could drop back down once the food spike wears off.

Feeding comes next because you want to be confident that Bandit is going to take on board enough food for the insulin to work during the cycle. If a dose is given and then the cat doesn't eat anything, BG levels could potentially go too low during the rest of the cycle.

There is a slight exception to the test/feed sequence in that if you test within 5-10 minutes after the cat has eaten then there may not be a food boost because it takes a little time - 20 minutes or so - before the ingested food starts to influence numbers.

The amount of time you need to wait after feeding before administering the dose depends on the insulin you're using. If you let us know we can give you more specific information in this regard. :)

Mogs

3. Abby and Bandit

Thank you, Mogs. Vet has said 1 unit of Lantus twice daily. Just created signature and have that there now.

This cat is a slow eater. He will eat a couple of bites and walk away, then come back and have a few more, etcetera. It can take 30 minutes or more for him to eat half a small can, which the vet says he has to have before a shot. Would I consider the 5-10 minute test after eating to be done after that 30 minutes then? Or after the first few bites? So confusing.

4. Critter Mom

That you're using Lantus makes things much more straightforward, Abby!

Some insulins have quite a hard, fast onset and can drop BG levels like a rock early in the cycle (e.g. Vetsulin, Novolin N) so the cat needs to eat and wait for 20-30 minutes or more before giving the insulin dose.

The good news is that Lantus has a gentler mode of action and as long as the PS BG reading is high enough and you're confident that your kitty is going to eat well enough you can administer the dose without waiting for him to finish all of his grub.

The overall routine is:

- Lift all food 2 hours before the PS check is due.
    - Do the preshot BG check.
    - Feed Bandit.
    - Assuming Bandit's BG level is high enough, give the Lantus dose as soon as he's had a reasonable amount of food and you're confident he'll finish his meal.

Because Lantus is a long-acting insulin, it's OK to also give additional small feeds during the rest of the cycle (but ideally not after around +6 because the effect of the dose starts to weaken in the later hours.)

From the time any food arrives in your kitty's stomach - even a small amount - the body will start digesting it and it will start impacting blood glucose levels about 20 minutes from the time he starts eating, i.e. blood glucose levels will start to rise before Bandit finishes his grub. (Hope I've explained this OK!) If you test just as he starts eating then the BG reading shouldn't be skewed, but if you were to wait any longer the reading would compromised. Doing the test before putting food down to him takes away all of the complication. :)

Mogs

5. Abby and Bandit

Thank you! This is so helpful, you explained it great. The additional feeds are good news. He is a grazer and I was worried about how to get enough wet food in him; he usually tops out at 1/2 of a 3 ounce can at one go, which isn't much. Worried about him losing any more weight.

6. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

WELCOME TO FDMB! I'm glad your question got answered to your satisfaction. Mogs is one of our VERY BEST. We treasure her.
    I hope you come back and consider setting up one of these:

FDMB SPREADSHEET INSTRUCTIONS

We care about each and every kitty and their "Bean" who find our forum.

WELCOME TO OUR FAMILY:bighug:

jeanne

Critter Mom and Abby and Bandit like this.
  7. Abby and Bandit

Thank you, Jeanne!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Glad I did OK with the explanation. :)

Am I correct in understanding that Bandit needs to regain some weight? If yes, then while you're working on getting his diabetes regulated then, with the exception of the two hours before each preshot is due, it's OK to leave food down for him to graze away at. Unregulated diabetics aren't able to properly utilise the food they eat, so it's good to feed extra until their BG becomes better controlled and they start getting the full benefit of their nosh.

Tip:

Many members get a rotary timed feeder, e.g. the Petsafe 5, and set it to rotate to an empty compartment 2 hours before the next preshot test is due - ideal for when you're not at home to lift the food before PMPS and saves you having to wake to lift food 2 hours before AMPS!)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.