? Evening readings and question about interpreting numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by JC&Yuki, Oct 24, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Hi Everyone! Here is a link to my previous post on the Lantus Forum. I decided to post here instead today because I have a general question about interpreting pre-shot numbers. I've currently been switching between the Relion and the Alphatrak 2 because my vet is pushing me to use the Alphatrak 2, but I just ran out of test strips (waiting on more to arrive) so in the meantime I'm using my Relion meter. I've made comments on my spreadsheet to indicate when the Relion was used. I was advised to try to get more night time numbers, so that's what we're working on now as well as getting more pre-shot numbers. I haven't been able to find concrete information on what numbers I should be looking out for when I get Yuki's pre-shot numbers. Does anyone have a link to information on interpreting both Relion and Alphatrak numbers?

I also conducted one test using both the Alphatrak (+9 152) and the Relion (+9 86) and while I know there is some variance between the two numbers I just wanted to make sure that it was normal for the Alphatrak number to be in the blues while the Relion number is in the greens? Which meter is more accurate?

Also, any other advice with regards to her dosage upon reviewing my spreadsheet would be much appreciated. I'm already working on getting more readings throughout the day and night (especially pre-shot) and I'm slowly improving at getting the readings on my own. I'll be conducting a BG curve to send off to my vet sometime this weekend or early next week (whenever my Alphatrak strips come in). Thank you in advance for any feedback!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  2. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

There is a difference in the calibration between an Alpha Track and human meters. Personally, I don't think the cost of strips is worth the difference. Vets like the AT because it is calibrated like the serum chemistry analyzers where they get their lab results. I'm guessing that most vets have no idea about the cost difference nor to they realize that it's only been in recent years that it was easy to get a pet meter.

The numbers on the two masters have the least difference when you're at the lower end of the scale. A 50 on a human meter is equivalent to a 68 on an AT. As the numbers get higher, the difference between the two meters is larger. There's really no scale that gives you what the equivalent between meters would be other than the numbers above. To complicate matters further, all of our dosing guidelines are based on readings on a human meter.

Looking at Yuki's SS, I want to strongly urge you to always get a test before shooting. You have no idea if your reshot number is a 400 or a 40. The pre-shot test is the only way to know if it's safe to give insulin. If you're following SLGS, you need to remember that you give a dose reduction if numbers drop below 90 on a human meter. I think your kitty may need a dose reduction since numbers were at 77 last night.

3. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Hi! Thank you for the explanation. I’ll probably have to stick with the Alphatrak2 as my vet was pretty adamant about it): I’ll try to get some readings using both meters but as it is it’s difficult to get one reading. My boyfriend and I are already working on doing readings before every test, but it’s not something that’s always possible. I’m doing a curve soon to send off to my vet for interpretation. She’s already down to .5 units of Lantus, do you think I should reduce her dose even further than that? Or should I stop the insulin all together and conduct readings as usual? I’m not sure how small the doses can go. Also do you know what pre shot number I should be looking out for so that I know when not to dose her?

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

5. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hi I just tagged @Sienne and Gabby (GA) who could answer your question.
    First off in your signature it says Relion Prime, if you plan on using the Alpha Trak
    I would change it in your signature because it does make a difference when it comes to BG numbers.
    I'll tag a few more members for you in case Sienne signed off for the night
    That 77 you got last night what meter did you use?

And if you are advised to reduce you would shoot 0.25 units. Do you have the syringes with half unit markings?

@Wendy&Neko

@Deb & Wink

@Chris & China (GA)

Hi ladies in case Sienne signed off for the night do you think you can
    answer Jaycie's questions. Thanks ladies

Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

With SLGS, you do not dose if below 90 at preshot time. And Yuki earns a reduction if she goes below 90 on either the Relion, or the AT.
    Are you buying the strips from your vet? Just tell him/her you can't afford them.

Yes you need to reduce to 0.25 units - there are pictures of how to draw smaller doses on the Insulin & Syringe Sticky Note on the Lantus forum. As Diane said, you do need the 1/2 unit marked syringes to make that easier.

7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thank you Wendy :cat:

8. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Thank you for all of your help Diane! That 77 was from my Relion. Sorry for all of the confusion.

9. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Hi Wendy! Thank you for the advice I’ll try to push back with my vet or maybe just use the Alphatrak2 for curve days along with the Relion so that I have the numbers to give her. I do have syringes that are marked for half units and I will check out those sticky notes and reduce her dose tonight!

10. Diane Tyler's Mom

I'll post the pics for you in a minute. On your SS if you ever skip a dose please put
    ship or NS . Also please update your SS for today
    I see Wendy told you if the pre shot number is below 90 following SLGS do not shoot.
    Yuki might have gone lower than the 77 last night.
    You can use the Alpha Trak for curves for your vet if you want to.
    Your spreadsheet says Alpha Trak , if you plan on using the Relion
    from now on to post on your SS please change it on your SS.

Just not to confuse us.
    Tell your vet you can't afford the price for the test strips, tell her to buy them
    for you lol.
    Or just use the pet meter like you said for curves.

Please reduce tonight to 0.25 units

I went back and read some of your posts and saw you have to burrito
    Yuki, I'm sure you googled how to burrito a cat.
    She sounds like a feisty one.

It's really important to try and get the pre shot to make sure the BG is safe
    to shoot.
    Same with the night shot.
    God forbid you shoot without that and his BG is low.
    I'll post the pic of the syringe below

11. Diane Tyler's Mom

The 0.25 is the last pic of the syringe.I see you have the half unit syringes, good

Pictorial guide using a U-100 syringe marked with half units:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Diane Tyler's Mom

No problem JC :cat: Found this video how to burrito, it looks like a good one

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

14. JC&Yuki

JC&Yuki Member

Hi Diane! Apologies for the delayed response, but last night her PMPS was 117 and then she got .25 units of Lantus. This morning her AMPS was 152 and then she got another .25 units. I'll try to spot check her throughout the day and after dinner and will post an update later tonight. I was able to successfully get a reading from her on my own last night and this morning, so things are definitely slowly improving! It helps that I'm getting faster at getting the reading as well as double wrapping her lol. Thank you again for all of your guidance, it really helped us last night and it looks like her numbers are slowly rising, so hopefully we're in a safer zone.

15. Diane Tyler's Mom

Alright JC way to go with the testing!, it will get easier.
    Have a good day :cat: Oh if you ever skip a dose put NS or skip :cat:

JC&Yuki likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.