Experience with gabapentin for hind leg neuropathy?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lois and Java, Mar 11, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Dark o clock question. Before bed, I was reading about pain meds for cats and gabapentin was mentioned. It's a fantastic drug, especially for nerve pain. I took it during shingles, it was the only thing that worked. I felt normal, just didn't feel the pain - I worked every day the whole time I had shingles, and it was awful until gabapentin.
    Seems like it'd be much better than an opiod like buprenorphine for hind leg neuropathy in particular. Bupe works it seems by knocking Java out, he isn't normal on it.
    Do people have experience with it for their cat?
    I wonder why vet didn't mention it. I'm hoping he has it, or it's easy to get, since he's open until noon tomorrow.

2. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

Well I've got it, and I'm writing about it in the Prozinc thread.

3. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I tried gabapentin for pain relief for Neko's arthritis. It just made her sleepy. Buprenorphine worked better for her. Maybe the bupe dose you were trying was too high? There is a range of bupe dose based on the weight of the cat, some just need less.

For neuropathy, most people use Zobaline.

4. Lois and Java

Lois and Java Member

This has definitely knocked Java out, which I was not expecting like this. The photo is of him immediately after the dose. He's responsive when roused, and he's eating, and peeing. The bupe knocked him out as well. I've got him Zobaline, wishful thinking something can act faster to give him more strength in his hind legs maybe. Those are immediate Impressions, I should have a better comparison tomorrow, see how he is after it compared to the bupe. Thank you for the response.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.