First Curve Tomorrow

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Jessica & furbaby Indie, Aug 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Jessica & furbaby Indie Member

My vet said a curve tomorrow would be a good idea as my Indie's BG readings are still a little higher than he'd like. I'll plan on testing her BG prior to her shot at 7am and again every 2 hours until her next shot at 7pm. Since I seem to only be able to get blood in the "sweet spot" is that going to be painful to test her all 8 times there??? Where else can I test? Oh and she only lets me touch her right ear. For whatever reason she will not let me touch her left ear. So that limits me to one ear and one sweet spot.

It took me forever to get blood. Now that I know about the "sweet spot" I can get blood in seconds and always on the first try. I feel like a pro just 8 days in, haha. Mind you it took me a solid 4 rounds over the course of 3 days to finally learn how to get blood! Now I can do the whole routine in less than 5 mins on a good day. I digress.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

You can actually poke anywhere along either side of the ear that you want to....you're not limited to just the "sweet spot"
    sweet spot all sides.png

3. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Thank you for the diagram!!! I swear that's where I was pricking those first 3 days and got nothing. But if you say so, then am sure I was not along the edge and more on the inside. This is good to know. Thanks!!!

4. Chris & China (GA)

As you poke more and more in the same area, new capillaries grow in....that's why if you concentrate on the "official" sweet spot, it gets easier so much faster....but the same thing happens along the other edges too

5. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Ahhh, good to know!

6. AJHJ

AJHJ Member

I'm doing my first curve tomorrow, too. Good luck to you!

7. Jessica & furbaby Indie

Good luck to you as well!

8. Jessica & furbaby Indie

I did my first curve and the lowest point was 272 at +6 after AMPS. So my vet advised me to increase her dose to 3units 2x daily.

9. Chris & China (GA)

We never suggest increasing in whole units.....just a drop too much of insulin can have tragic results as well as if you increase too quickly, you could bypass what might be a "perfect" dose for Indie

Since she's getting into the 200's, that only calls for a .25 unit increase.

You don't have in your signature if you're doing Tight Regulation or Start Low, Go Slow, but either one would call for only the .25 increase

From TR:
    INCREASING THE DOSE:
    • Hold the dose for 3 - 5 days (6 - 10 consecutive cycles) if nadirs are less than 200 before increasing the dose by 0.25 unit.
      • if your cat is new to numbers under 200, it is recommended to hold the dose for at least 8-10 cycles before increasing.
      • when your cat starts to see nadirs under 100, hold the dose for at least 10 cycles before increasing.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutive cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 200, but less than 300 increase the dose by 0.25 unit.
    • After 3 days (6 consecutive cycles)... if nadirs are greater than 300 increase the dose by 0.5 unit.
    From SLGS:
    After 1 week at a given dose perform a 12 hour curve, testing every 2 hours OR perform an 18 hour curve, testing every 3 hours:
    Note: Random spot checks are often helpful to "fill in the blanks" on kitty's spreadsheet.
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit

10. Chris & China (GA)

11. Jessica & furbaby Indie

I am so glad you replied. I wasn't even going to question my vet's recommendation. I feel like I'm losing my mind trying to do everything right for my girl. How do you measure 0.25? I guess you just guess and do just the tiniest bit more. It appears to barely be an increase. I listened and did that. I will update my spreadsheet later.

I am unsure which method I am doing. Not to mention I was never told by my vet to test ketones. As I was reading about the two methods I saw this. No one ever mentioned this. I want to scream or cry.

So funny I thought the hard part was actually using a needle and trying to be home at 7 and 7 every day. Nope that doesn't even compare to the regulation of this. The hard part is actually managing it which requires constant testing and awareness. I have spent hours and hours reading articles and posts on this topic. My mind is swirling! I need major prayers. With this and my ckd kitty and everything else going on in my life I feel so overwhelmed.

And the other hard part is I can't even talk about this with friends and colleagues because they would think I am nutz. I have mentioned it here and there and they just don't get it. They don't understand our love for our animals so its also this isolating struggle. I am sorry am venting!!

I truly appreciate this board and ur responses they are a tremendous help!

12. Lauren & Eliot

Lauren & Eliot Member

@Jlynn Thank you so much for posting this! I just had my first curve on Friday and when I sent my results plus the last two weeks of tracking into my vet she told me to increase from 1U twice daily to 2U twice daily! Which seemed... high, especially since Eliot has been having random low nights. I thought I was just being overprotective crazy cat mom.

(She also said I didn't have to test as much as I have been - which has not been much to be honest - and to only test when he looked like he may be going into hypo. UM. This vet was so good with his cancer scare, but this. Wow. I'm so glad she sent me this "information" via email and didn't have to see my b-face. Oh, and they hadn't mentioned ketones either. :banghead:)

Fist bump to the overwhelmed newbies. I know it will get easier, but right now this board is the only thing keeping me together, I swear.

13. Chris & China (GA)

Do you have syringes with half unit markings? They make it a little easier, but basically, unless you're using calipers, you just have to "eyeball" it and try to keep it as consistent as possible

At the bottom of the Handling, Drawing and Fine Doses sticky are some pictures.....the one on the lower left corner shows .25

14. TempestsMum

TempestsMum Guest

I'd just like to say - well done to you for getting this far! I'm now on my third week of this whole,thing and it gets easier all,the time with the testing and coping.. much faster than you imagine! So keep going you will get there! :)

15. Jessica & furbaby Indie

I ended up getting some with the half markings so now I can see exactly. Didn't realize they existed so this was very helpful!! :)

16. Chris & China (GA)

Glad they helped!!

A lot of us use reading glasses to help magnify the lines on the syringes too

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.