First time w/ cat sitter - “vacation dose”?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Taishi_Ci, Sep 7, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

Next week my husband and I have to go out of town for 1, possibly 2, nights for a medical appointment. This will be the first time we’ll be away from Taishi for so long since his diagnosis.

We have a friend we’ve been teaching to do pokes/shots and he’s agreed to help out. However, this will be a 2x day thing (AM & PM)… he won’t be around to monitor/test Taishi throughout the day and night.

Taishi’s numbers have been great recently. I’m terrified of losing this progress if we do a lower dose while we’re gone. However, with these great numbers comes constant monitoring (I’m always paranoid about hypo). Taishi also isn’t always a great eater throughout the day… I often have to “remind” him that he has food available to get him to eat throughout the day. He didn’t eat for a long time yesterday and his numbers were in the low 50s. Eek!

Because we don’t have someone available to monitor him, should we reduce his dose while we’re gone? If so, how low should we go? And when we return, can we put him right back up his 2.5 or will we need to increase slowly? I wish we didn’t have to leave him, but there is no way around it.

thanks in advance!

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Hi. When will you leave? You definitely will need a vacation dose and cats being cats you need to start it a few days before you leave in case he decides to need a decrease.

4. tiffmaxee

You could have put this on your LLB condo. It is the best place for dosing questions. I’m going to link this to LLB.

5. tiffmaxee

I see your last condo was on 9/7. Would you please start one for today and link this? He’s looking good btw. He won’t lose momentum and you won’t ups go back to the dose before the vacation dose.

6. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

Thank you for the reply and the tags! We did just purchase an auto feeder. It arrives this Thursday, so hopefully that's enough time for him to get used to it :)

7. Taishi_Ci

Taishi_Ci Member

Thanks! I wasn't sure where would be best to post. I made a new thread in the Lantus forum and linked this post :)

8. tiffmaxee

Great. See you there.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.