Flatline ?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Bruce Wayne, Apr 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Bruce Wayne

Bruce Wayne Member

I remember reading a resource somewhere on this site ... I think called flatlining ? I can’t find it now.

Basically I am getting some readings for Bruce where is looks like he has less of a curve and more of a line , staying near the 300-400 range. Seems to be correlated with the new vile of insulin I bought, so I’m thinking maybe it’s bad ?

If anyone can point me to that resource , if you know what I am referencing then I can read up. I can call the vet first thing Monday but they are closed over the weekend.

I plan on getting a few more tests in tomorrow and Monday , but usually +4-+6 is like his lowest and the last few times his bg has barely budged.

Last edited: Apr 17, 2021
  2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Hi Lauren
    I don’t think you have nearly enough tests in to say Bruce Wayne is barely budging. There is one day where you have three tests done and then no PMPS BG.
    That could easily have been a bounce but with so little testing in the preceding days we don’t know.
    In the last 9 days you only have 3 tests in during the PM cycle.
    And I can see several preshots where you have not tested the BGs. I can’t stress enough how important it is to get those preshot numbers.
    On more than one occasion I have spent hours helping a CG who didn’t test the BG only to find the cat in very low numbers early in the cycle. It can be dangerous.

A cat can test in the 400s at preshot, drop to the 40s during the cycle and be back up at 400 at the next preshot. If you are not testing you have no idea this is happening and if you increased the dose, you would be in trouble.
    You need to be testing during every cycle if you can because you need to see how low the dose is taking Bruce Wayne,
    And don’t forget the pm cycle as cats often drop lower at night. Always get a before bed test....try and get into the habit of doing that.

3. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

Hi Lauren

I and several other people tried to make you understand the importance of testing.
    At a minimum we'd like to se pre-shot tests in every single cycle, cause one day you shoot a number that isn't safe to shoot but you won't know it, until it's too late.... and then one test in every cycle in between.
    If you have time to draw up and shoot the insulin, you have time to do a pre-shot test. Anything else is way too dangerous.

We know you want the best for Bruce, otherwise you wouldn't be here. We want to support you and help you every way we can. BUT we can't help you, if you don't test. You don't know if he's safe to give insulin, and no one wants to be the cause of Bruce not making it. I'd be devastated if my advice resulted in Bruce getting a severe hypo. I couldn't live with myself if I caused that. We want to help you, but you need to the groundwork. If you can't do mid cycle tests during the AM cycle you'll just have to do it in the PM cycle, but dosing is dependent on those tests. The pre-shot tests is to know it's safe in the first place.

I'm sorry if it's too rough. I don't know how else to get through to you. We really want to help you! :bighug::bighug:

Dyana and Diane Tyler's Mom like this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I've been around these parts for a long time. I've not heard the term "flatline". used. The closest I can think of is with Lantus or Levemir where once a cat is better regulated, the curve flattens out and you're seeing lots of green numbers. That isn't the case with your kitty.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.