Fortune 3/5 PMPS 302

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by RachelG, Mar 5, 2021.

1. RachelG

RachelG Member

Yesterday

Fortune jumped out of bed ready for breakfast, and lo and behold his BG was 56!! We gave him a mix of LC (3%) and HC (23%) and he ate about 80g of the HC, 38 of the LC.

We retested 20 min later and he was 361 , but that seemed too high too fast. So retested again and now he is HI. Oops! :banghead:

So I think it’s safe to shoot, right? :oops:

2. JaxBenji

JaxBenji Well-Known Member

Sorry no one got back to you, Rachel :bighug: Did you get a second test on the 56? Anytime I get an "out of place" number, I double check it. I personally always double check my first 50-something of a cycle (this is not a "rule", just sharing what I do :)).

Hope Fortune is feeling okay and you got lots of snuggles :bighug:

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

How is Fortune now, Rachel? I guess those carbs shot him way up high.

RachelG likes this.
  4. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

All ok?

RachelG likes this.
  5. RachelG

RachelG Member

Fortune seems to be doing well, despite the sky high numbers! It was quite a shock when we saw he was so low this morning, but I think he may be bouncing now? We didn't check him overnight, because he was higher than his PMPS. Oops. :nailbiting:

He is now sunning after having a nice snack at +4 :joyful:

We created a food and calorie tracker to make sure we are consistently offering Fortune enough fuds to get him strong and healthy (and get plumper). I realized we weren't feeding him enough calories, so of course he lost weight on top of all of his conditions. :banghead: He seems to have an appetite, just has a hard time eating a lot in one sitting. Although at breakfast he seems to eat his largest serving, it still isn't enough calories.

I must admit I am still serving Hills A/D (MC 13%) because it packs the caloric punch, even though it isn't good for his BG :( Hopefully fluids this afternoon will help.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  6. Liz & Minnie

Liz & Minnie Well-Known Member

I think Fortune and Minnie are in cahoots. She's doing the same sort of thing - last night 176 to 270 in 45min after some MC. We were previously blaming the AT (102 to 451, 138 to 595, 40 to 273) but yesterday was the Freestyle Lite, so now it's all on her!

RachelG likes this.
  7. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

I think the 56 was probably a bad strip. We will never know if it’s that or a bounce. Eating well is good. Small meals often is how Max was once he got diagnosed with pancreatitis when he appeared fine so that’s how he was fed. My vet said if they eat too much at one time can make then feel yucky.

RachelG likes this.
  8. RachelG

RachelG Member

I'm kinda hoping it's a bounce because when he is HI several hours in a row it's usually bad news :nailbiting: The day of his collapse, the day he was hospitalized for azotemia, etc. He seems fine so far today, hopefully it's me just being a worry wart!

9. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

Thats only 100
    thats 400

She still looks better on the FS. A jump of 100 pts in 45 minutes is not unheard of:)

Liz & Minnie likes this.
  10. RachelG

RachelG Member

Today every test is over 600. Giving his ears a break until +8.

11. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

if he did go low last night it might just he a bounce, given he is acting normal I'm hoping that's all it is.
    Also feeding HC at the end of the cycle may have contributed to numbers rocketing.

just keep an eye on his behaviour, if he's acting sick you may need to take some action. Given his history.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  12. RachelG

RachelG Member

Right - when I saw 56 I grabbed the 23% - with everything going on we don't need him hypo! I'm watching him very closely, he always tells us when he isn't feeling well.

I just really hope he stays stable, because I don't think we are going to take him to the hospital again.

13. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

That late in the cycle, the insulin effect should be wearing off so you should grab the LC next time. Then test 20-30 minutes later to see if he actually needs the HC. The earlier in the cycle, the stronger the insulin, the higher carbs you need. Later in the cycle, LC is often all you need to stop any drop.

Glad to see you are putting away the test kit for the day.;)

RachelG likes this.
  14. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I hope the fluids today helped Fortune. Praying for a peaceful night for all of you ♥:bighug::bighug::bighug:

RachelG likes this.
  15. RachelG

RachelG Member

Thanks for explaining that, Wendy! I did not know what to do, so I erred on the side of him not going hypo! I am also concerned because that means he was likely low throughout the night. Poor bunny. I thought about stalling, but that made me nervous since it is such a low number for him. Now at least, I know what to do!

FWIW I did offer a mix of LC and HC, he went devoured the HC :rolleyes:

I just got back from picking up more Weruva options at Petco and he is stalking and sticking his head in the bag cuz he knows it's food! Which is typical Fortune behavior - yay! But so far all the ones I have offered are no dice :arghh: He stopped liking the Weruva options last week, but it is great for low carb and low phos, so until we get the phos binder I'm going to keep trying :smuggrin:

Thank you, Diane! :bighug: He was sunning the rest of the afternoon on top of the the couch - I had to run out for more food options, but before I did he was snuggled against me on the couch in some sun. I hope he gets more sunny days - the weather has been so wacky! I need it to be 60 and sunny so he can sun on the patio! ;)

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  16. RachelG

RachelG Member

Oh, we did break out our new ketone monitor today! With the HI readings, I didn't want to take anything for granted. He was at .1 - not great, but still safe. What a relief to be able to know without dealing with about the urine dipsticks!

So, do you think it's a bounce from last night? It has been persistently high, but other than the intermittent nausea (which is obvi worrisome) he seems like himself...

Last edited: Mar 5, 2021
  17. carfurby (GA)

carfurby (GA) Well-Known Member

18. RachelG

RachelG Member

He came down! YAY!

And we did PMPS before feeding @11.5 - trying to leave Fortune some time to eat a nice chunk. He is digging the Royal Canin Renal Support - E which is low carb and lower phosphorous (win/win). Continuing to offer food this evening in 30-45 min increments. Fortiflora is amazing - I just wish I could use it more! About to order bonito flakes, too.

Earlier this evening he was laying on my chest on the couch and just looking into my eyes. Today was a good day.

Lisa & Oberon and SDAbby like this.
  19. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Awwws! There is NOTHING better in this world than cuddles from a sick kitty.

You are juggling so much and doing an amazing job, Rachel. I'm writing down that Royal Canin food in case I have to go down that road with Ruby.

RachelG likes this.
  20. Suzanne & Darcy

My CKD cat, Tabitha, really liked the Royal Canin renal support foods. She ate them well... E was a favorite. I hadn't been a fan of those foods (renal foods and resisted them for a long time) but she did very well eating them and had a good appetite.

RachelG likes this.
  21. Suzanne & Darcy

I love that. Lying on your chest and looking into your eyes. A special time. It's all worth it.

RachelG likes this.
  22. RachelG

RachelG Member

It has the right amount of phos and it low carb, so I'm THRILLED he will eat it, especially while we wait for the phosphorous binder. His fav right now is the Merrick LID Duck, but I am rationing everything while we wait on a RX to refill it!

As long as he is telling me he wants to be here and is content, I will go above and beyond to help him feel well. He is my whole heart and my soul kitty. DH knows, and accepts this, haha. Thankfully, he fell in love with Fortune when we first started dating, and Fortune loves him so much, too, otherwise we would be in trouble. :p

It's how I know he is feeling like himself - it's small signs and things like coming over and laying on top of me, or digging through the shopping bag for fud (even though he didn't like any of the weruva I got so far :rolleyes:)

I just hope we can help keep him stable, bring down his phosphorous levels, and help him be comfortable a for as long as possible

23. RachelG

RachelG Member

:bighug::bighug:

I have a whole list of foods with "moderate-low" phosphorous and acceptable carbs! We have a running list of what we have been feeding him in my spreadsheet (along with a calorie counter cuz I want to plump him up!). Take a look if you ever need. I hope it's a long long time from now before you have to worry about renal specific foods.

Marty was just dx'd with early CKD (Stage 1 I think? I need to check) and the vet switched him to Purina Early N/F - but it's like 34% carbs!! :arghh: So it's a no for Fortune. One day I'll muster up the courage to check Marty's BG at home...