? Freestyle libre? Who uses it? Is it expensive?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mimis mom, Dec 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mimis mom

Mimis mom Well-Known Member

Thanks! I’ve been thinking about doing it for Mimi so I can stop being so extremely anxious when I’m not home to check her BG

2. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

Tried it once and found the numbers were only accurate when Freckles was in lower numbers (blue or green). Vet charged me $25 to put it on but Freckles was already sedated from the dental. There would be no way the vet would be able to put it on her without sedation... vet couldn’t even get a blood test without involving 4 people to hold Freckles.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

I used three of them. One on my Badger and 2 on Wiggles. I found them useful. The vet attached the first on which was on Badger. They charged a reguylar office visit. I attached the other two with help. You need a good cliupper to get a close shave. You need a number 40 or 50 blade. I also used tissue glue. For mor info see:
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/posts/2359139/

4. Nakikki

Nakikki Member

It does cost a fair bit. My vet wanted to watch it to see when glucose was trending up or down and how much, rather than exact numbers. I did a duel reading on a normal human BG monitor as well as reading the Libre and they just didn't agree with each other on the readout. Also my cat got irritated and ripped it off himself. We got data that was good enough, but results may vary.

5. Luxe

Luxe Member

I thought they were very helpful though not long lasting. His never fell off but the sensors went bad. The first one lasted 2days and the second one lasted 8 days. They were $220 at my vet where i live. They were great for catching some near hypos overnight

6. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Sticker shock!!! :eek:

Mogs

7. Luxe

Luxe Member

Was definitely way more than i had seen other people online paying so shocked is definitely the right word. They did replace it for free though after the first one stopped working after two days so i at least got two for that price

8. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

I s'pose cold comfort is better than no comfort at all! ;)

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.