Frustrated cat dad- dosing my buddy

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Mikey’sDad, Aug 20, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

Mikey, is a great cat, and he just started insulin .50 2time a day. His glucose is averaging around 225 before he started insulin.- fructosmine was high at 500
    I have attempted to give him shots and I think maybe a few did not go in. He seems to jump before I can push the plunger, but I am not absolutely certain. Tomorrow morning will be shot 6 .
    Any suggestions. Am I the only one who gets frustrated. Perhaps he is picking up on my angst. His levels are not that high,so I can be a bit patient, but enough already.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  2. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

I saw that someone added a link to your July post that included shooting tips. Was that video helpful? I know that some of the more seasoned caregivers also do "fur shoots" once in a while. It is inevitable. Make sure your needle angle is correct so it goes in more easily. Sister doesn't even flinch so long as I get that part right (but I use a flashlight in order to see the needle tip).

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

4. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

We can set it up for you and help you navigate it. Without a spreadsheet we won’t be able to help you with dosing. It would be far safer if you had a spreadsheet to monitor the BGs and dose.

6. Mocha's_mom

Mocha's_mom Member

Mocha jumps sometimes right after I stick him. The only good thing is I know he's actually getting the shot.
    Not sure what kind of syringes you are using (depends on u40 or u100 insulin), but I found the smaller the needle the better. I'm currently using a 31g 5/16" needle and sometimes he doesn't even feel it. I know this may sound stupid but we're all new to this and sometimes it helps to see how other people do it. I make sure that either my thumb or my index finger is on the plunger and I hold the syringe firmly at the end with 2 fingers. That way as soon as you poke you depress the plunger. If you poke first (like you're throwing a dart) and don't have your finger on the plunger ready to go then you run the risk of him jumping before you can get the liquid in. So my left hand is making the "tent" and my right hand jabs him.
    I also do it when he least expects it. I'll have a treat handy and while he's eating it I'll get him.

IMG_1715.jpg IMG_1716.jpg

Judy & Fritz likes this.
  7. Chuckington

Chuckington Member

Yes, I was so frustrated!!
    The hardest part is getting Chucky to stay still (he doesn't stay where you put him) and finding a good place to stick him.
    When they showed me how to do it at the shelter, he sat in their lap and it was easy as pie. But at home, uh uh. He gets the heck out of there.
    He's also lost a pound since I adopted him and I wear longer acrylic nails, so between those two, it's been a bit more challenging to get the loose skin on top of his body.

But it's helped to just meet him where he is. He likes to lie down after he eats, so when he does, I sit beside him, pet him, and use that petting time to gently find where I can get a good grip of skin on him that day.
    If he gets up and walks away, I leave him alone until he lays down in a new spot. When he does, I go to his new spot and try again. Rinse and repeat until he's finally found the perfect spot and will move no more lol. When he's finally settled in and I know he won't move, I pick up the needle in one hand, take off the cap, grip the skin in my other with an overhand, pincer kind of grip, and then I stick him.
    I don't put my finger on the plunger until the needle is in because:
    1. There's always a chance he'll get up and leave, and I don't want to shoot until I know I'm in and he'll get the full dose.
    2. I want to make sure I'm not in his muscle. I hit it once and he meowed and jumped, so I quickly pulled it out and tried in another spot. If I injected at the same time as entry, the dose would have been wasted.
    So I place the needle, give it a beat to make sure the placement is good, and then I push the plunger. Easy like Sunday morning.

Treats don't work for me because he eats them super fast and it makes me feel like we're in a race. That's how I hit his muscle that time, so I don't use them anymore. But if the timing works out that I can get him at his dish, I'll try then.

I also take a minute to make sure that I'm putting in the needle with the sharpest edge down. It goes into the skin easier and makes it even less painful for the cat. My mom is a nurse and gave me that tip and it made a surprisingly big difference.

And lastly, definitely try to keep your energy calm. Initially, I was scared and super stressed because I didn't want to murder him, I didn't want to accidentally stab myself with cat insulin and become a super cat, I wanted to be exactly on time, I couldn't get the skin, he was moving around and didn't want to be on my lap, I was chasing him from place to place....the stress and frustration were rolling off of me, especially in the morning because I'm not a morning person.
    Finding flexibility and patience has helped us both be way calmer and every shot has gotten better and easier. So take the time that you need to make sure that you're both relaxed.
    There have been a few times when he's been super restless and just won't sit long enough for a shot. In those cases, I just leave him alone so we can both get a breather and then I try again 15 minutes later.
    Better to get a late shot than a blown one, in my book.

8. Mocha's_mom

Mocha's_mom Member

So as hard as it is, I promise you'll find a rhythm. When I would walk up behind Mocha and grab a hunk of skin he would freeze like wtf is going on?! And by the time I could insert the syringe and find some confidence in my abilities he was already darting out of my hands.

Yes, that's how fur shots happen! I haven't had one yet (knock on wood) but it will happen. It's actually quite hard to get a full on muscle shot in a cat unless you just jab him somewhere without attempting to lift the skin. If you make some attempt to form a "tent" as they say you are not going to hit muscle. Yes, sometimes they will meow and try to run but that's ok. That's a normal reaction to someone pinching your skin & stabbing you with a needle. You need to gain confidence. I tried the whole 'perfect approach' at first.. make a tent, see some skin, insert needle, pull back on syringe to make sure you don't see blood, then push plunger. That worked all of ZERO times.

Mocha is a long haired, mostly black cat. By the time I made a decision he was gone.

Pick a spot, pull up on the skin, have your finger on the plunger and just go for it! It's really that easy. There's such a slim chance that you'll ever hit anything other than skin you shouldn't worry. We all worry about the what-ifs but they will likely never happen.

But lets say you think you hit a muscle! Just keep checking his sugars every 15-30 mins to see where you're at. (You probably didn't but this will keep your piece of mind). You're right there. It's fine.

You sound like you're good on understanding his energy. That is definitely crucial. We are all scared to death at first. We think we're gonna hurt them, or hurt ourselves. I definitely don't want to stab myself and become a "super cat" either (or maybe I do...??...would I be allowed to sleep all day forever?...hmm)

You got this!

Chuckington likes this.
  9. Chuckington

Chuckington Member

Thank you for this!
    You were right, it has gotten easier! And your comment about the muscle has given me alot of peace of mind and confidence.

I don't even have to chase him around anymore, I just run up on him, grab his skin and jab him lmao. Still too chicken to put my finger on the plunger but I kind of hover over it so I can press it fast. I'll get there someday lol.

My sister was in town this weekend and got to watch us doing our evening meal routine, and she was like wow, you made that look so easy. I was so proud lol.

10. Denver & Magic (GA)

Denver & Magic (GA) Member

I've found the easiest way to give Magic his shot is to wait until he has his head buried in the food bowl eating. While he's doing that he doesn't even seem to notice he even got a shot.

AlexH likes this.
  11. AlexH

AlexH New Member

As suggested above, usually give a shot while he eats. Ziggy as a result of the diabetes has an increased appetite (bordering on acting like a starved wild cat) - does Mikey have a low carb food he really likes? it helps if this is something you can smush to the side of the bowl or break into small bits so that it takes longer to eat.

12. Mikey’sDad

Mikey’sDad Member

He is doing better with the shot. I give it to him at snack after his meal

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.