Glucose Meter Help

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Robert Vittetoe, Jun 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

I’ve read a lot on here on meters but still am a little unsure of what to do. I went to Walmart today with the goal of buying a meter that only requires 0.3 of blood. My Mr. Pinot is very hard to handle and testing is going to be a journey. The recommended meters Relion Confirm and Micro were not available and they had nothing that required 0.3 sample all required 0.5 so I purchased a ReliOn Prime to start trying to train him for testing.

My question is if costs was not a consideration would it be easier and more inline with vet testing just to get the AT2? With Pinot being so hard to handle I’m thinking the smaller the sample required the better. I’m pretty sure I read the AT2 uses 0.3. I’m willing to invest initially to try and get through this.

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

If money is no object, it's fine to use the AT....the reason most of us don't is financial. When you test 8-10 times a day, strips that are $1 each just isn't affordable.

All our protocols were written using human meters too so it's what we're used to.

That being said, the difference between 0.3 and 0.5 isn't really very much. Check out the chart below:

blood drop size.PNG

It's a real shame that they discontinued the Confirm and Micro....they were great meters!

Idjit's mom likes this.
  3. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

You are correct about the ReliOn Confirm and Micro being discontinued, much to many members dismay! the Prime does require more blood but is very affordable, both the meter and the strips. Strip costs and accessibility are important so you can have enough on hand in case of close monitoring for low blood sugar events (Hypos
    The AT2 is a good meter, but the strip cost is a deterrent for many, plus you have to order online and wait for delivery. Some members use the AT2 and Freestyle InsulinX strips obtained at a lower cost from E-Bay
    @JanetNJ has made a comparison and found that they match up well.

There are probably other human meters that only require the 0.3 sample, but again, the strips required might be more expensive and not easily locally obtained.

One thing we learned is that the ears do 'learn to bleed' as you test. More capillaries grow and if you also warm the ear with a cloth or rice sock to bring blood to the surface, it gets easier to get that blood drop.

Since you expect to have some difficulty with Pinot, it's going to be important to use the tools that are going to get the job done.

4. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

you CAN order the Arkray Glucocard 01 (same thing as ReliOn Confirm) online from at least these websites

https://www.allegromedical.com/diab...gclid=CPax2fb83OICFQzCZAodalwIgA#12ED-E9C427D

https://www.blowoutmedical.com/gluc...ecial=google&gclid=CMf_l_783OICFbogrQYdNm4IHQ

you can order the ReliOn strips for Confirm/Micro online still -- max per order, 4 boxes, they are Rolledback and $14.95; you can elect to "ship to store
    you can also order the Arkray Glucocard 01 strips (same thing exactly) online and they appear to be selling bulk amounts as well as individual boxes
    (most at original retail price of $19.95/50 but of course cheaper in bulk)

I wish you luck, I have a recalcitrant cat myself, tried using the Prime but at least at first, couldn't get large enough blood drop to register properly
    but then -- even needing only a .3 drop for the Confirm, I still wind up with "not enough blood' error about one time out of five
    (mostly my technique, partly cat who will NOT hold still, who shies away from meter)

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  5. Sharon14

Sharon14 Well-Known Member

Be sure to warm his ear either with a rice sock or vigorous rubbing if he’ll tolerate it. Also larger size lancets help, size 26 -28, if using Relion, the white ones.

6. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I have the Alpha Trak 2 meter and use their test strips, was reading some reviews on the Freestyle InsulinX strips to use with the AT2 meter and some have said it matches up pretty close, how close. I know the AT2 test strips are expensive but I wouldn't want to get a reading that is way off . Anyone use them with the AT 2 meter. I see JanetNJ has compared them @JanetNJ

7. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Yep. Most of the time they are quite close. If she's in hypo I use alpha strips just to be sure. 77BE38DD-774C-40CB-9C4B-29694B61FD5D.png

8. Diane Tyler's Mom

Hey Janet, yes I see they are pretty close , question I see the one on 4-3-18 the AT test strip was 120 and the freestyle was 151 it was to clear to see it, so with that difference how much insulin did you know how much to give, I'm still new at this. Do you have to code the freestyle strips @JanetNJ

Last edited: Jun 9, 2019
  9. Robert Vittetoe

Robert Vittetoe Member

Here is another area I’m confused on. There is a lot of discussion on pet meter vs human meter. I can’t figure out if the human meter gives lower or higher readings than a pet meter. If I’m using a human meter Relion Prime what is a normal reading? If I got a reading of 62 what’s that about on a pet meter. When should I be concerned. Instead of posting a new question each time is there a chart or something that gives me guidance. Hopefully someone can explain this or point me in the right direction.

10. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

human meters run lower than pet meters.

Normal numbers on a human meter are 50-120....on a pet meter it's 68-150

Your "time to act" on a human meter is below 50....On a pet meter it's below 68

There's no exact conversion, but what's important to remember is at low numbers, they're pretty close....too low is too low.....and as the numbers get higher, it will look like there's a bigger difference, but too high is too high

CandyH & Catcat likes this.
  11. CandyH & Catcat

CandyH & Catcat Well-Known Member

quoting this from the ProZinc forum, where you will find a lot of info specifically for those using ProZinc, PZI

BLOOD GLUCOSE (BG) METERS: HUMAN OR PET-CALIBRATED? YOU CHOOSE
    • Blood glucose meters test the amount of glucose in the cat’s blood.
    • Human BG meters are the type most commonly used by FDMB members; they’ve been used successfully for many years to monitor cats’ blood glucose. Inexpensive human meters and test strips are widely available at pharmacies (Walmart, Walgreens, etc.) as well as online (Amazon, Ebay). Some additional info: ReliOn Meter
    • The pet-calibrated AlphaTrak2 (AT2) is widely considered by vets to be the “gold standard” for testing blood glucose for cats because the results are closer to that of veterinary lab equipment. An AT2 meter must be purchased either from a vet clinic or online. Most vets don’t carry the test strips. They are much more expensive than human meter strips. Some additional info: Alpha Trak2
    • In the UK, many people use the Accu-Chek Aviva. It’s widely available and only requires a small blood sample.

12. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

That's really not a big difference. These comparisons aren't always taken for preshots, they are often random times. I leave it on code 38 for the insulinx strips.

13. Diane Tyler's Mom

Thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.