Glycobalance

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by BatGirl, May 23, 2024.

1. BatGirl

BatGirl New Member

A serious question here - why do vets prescribe or recommend Royal Canin glycobalance? Trying to come up with total carbs for this dry food I get no better than the dry Tiki Cat at 24. Was given some by my vet to try, but now I hesitate to give it to my BatGirl. Normally she gets a combination of Tiki Cat wet and/or Fancy Feast wet. I know they should have at least a few carbs. I'm so confused! BG is holding at about 75.

2. Rosie Lass

Rosie Lass Member

My vet prescribed the wet glycolbalance, and now I find out that’s terrible also. I have no idea why they recommend it Hello from another michigander!

3. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

Vets don’t get much nutritional training and what they get is provided by the big cat food manufacturers who promote their products. All called prescription foods and there is nothing prescription about them. They are mostly high carb and the ingredients are nothing special…
    Do you have a spreadsheet we can look at? Or a signature? Both these would be very helpful in giving you advice/help.
    Are you still using vetsulin? What meter are you using?
    75 on either meter is low for vetsulin. When during the cycle is the 75?

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the way the marketing process works. With humans, the pharmaceutical reps used to visit hospitals and large medical practices and bring food and all sorts of promotional material (pens, mugs, etc.) and provide research information about how wonderful their drug of the month was. MDs that were top prescribers would be asked to give lectures at other places that were quite lucrative or there would be all sorts of lovely trips prescribers could be invited to attend free of charge. All you had to do was listen to the drug company's spiel. Quite a few years ago, the FDA put a stop to the promotional practices of Big Pharma. There are no such preventative measures that govern the pet food industry. However, a few years there was a rather large class action suit that the pet food industry lost. As Bron noted, the suit prevents them from calling their food "prescription" since there's nothing medically prescriptive in the food. I really doubt that many of the vets are aware of the suit. In fact, most vets don't know what the carb level is in most foods. They trust the pet food company. My vet was completely clueless that Fancy Feast was far lower in carbs than either the Hills or Purina diabetic foods.

BatGirl and Bron and Sheba (GA) like this.
  5. BatGirl

BatGirl New Member

Thank you. I actually had the same thoughts when I accepted the food. I mentioned that I scrutinize BatGirl's carbs, and the doc got a look that told me something. . . So while it was kind of her to think of us, my kitty will not partake. As caring pet owners we have to do our homework. This food will be donated to the shelter. I appreciate you folks being here!

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.