Good While It Lasted

Discussion in 'Honeymooners / OTJ' started by Catacular, Sep 27, 2022.

1. Catacular

Catacular Member

Well, we've been in remission for four solid years, so we'll take it. Our grey cat was running 50-60 for the duration, but I noticed his back leg being problematic and tested again. Bingo! We're back in the 500s. Gah!

We probably need to replace our old Relion Confirm meter since the strips expired in 2020 and are no longer made. However, it has properly tested our "control cat" and me, giving us the same numbers we always get. Any recommendations? We're upping from 2U to 2.5U of Lantus this evening and hoping to see these crazy 500s break. :nailbiting:

2. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Virginie & Chewie (GA) Well-Known Member

Oh man, what a bummer to be back on the juice after 4 years! Any idea what might have prompted it? From my (admittedly limited) understanding, dental issues and other infections or medical issues can cause a relapse. Hope in any case that you can get those BGs under control fast.

I would recommend posting in the Lantus forum if you haven't already, it's the best place to get experienced eyes on your spreadsheet :cat:

3. JanetNJ

JanetNJ Well-Known Member

Awe man I'm.sorry. Do have her checked for infections.

4. Catacular

Catacular Member

Sorry . . . I should have mentioned we're treating for Phase 4 Kidney Disease at this point. I've been administering subcutaneous fluids for "some time" (well over a year). He's definitely Stage 4, so we know he's on borrowed time. At this point, I think the (brand new!) Lantus is palliative, and it's helping a bit, bringing down his numbers from 500s to 200s. We started at 2U, given the crazy 500s and our previous experience back in 2018, and are up to 3U as of this morning. So far, the only symptom he's showing is neuropathy in his back leg. Right now, he's grooming, staying around us (not hiding), eating "OK," and going up and down stairs. But, yeah, we're in the end game and waiting for him to let us know he's ready to move on. Such a good kitty! He is amazingly patient on 2-3x weekly fluids and now the 2x daily insulin.

5. Catacular

Catacular Member

BTW, based on some quick reading, we went ahead and upgraded from our old Relion Confirm to a new Relion Classic Premier. It seems to read a bit higher than the old meter, by like 20-30 or so (on both human, diabetic cat, and control cat). ;)

6. Virginie & Chewie (GA)

Virginie & Chewie (GA) Well-Known Member

I'm so sorry, that's a rough deal for your kitty :(
    He is lucky that you are taking such good care of him... Hopefully his BG coming down will help with his neuropathy. You could try giving him zobaline too? I've heard only good things about it and started giving it to my own cat, and it's helped her shuffling gait for sure. So easy to hide in food.

Catacular likes this.
  7. Catacular

Catacular Member

Yes! I have to go get some more Zobaline. We ran out.