Grendel high numbers

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Dan Schoo, Feb 21, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dan Schoo

Dan Schoo New Member

Hey all,

Sorry, I can't follow all this stuff, it seems that every rabbit hole leads to another rabbit hole.

My boi Grendel, 16 years old, is taking his insulin 2 units twice a day and his numbers are very high. I've been able to do a curve today and the lowest number was 262 and the highest was 622. Am I giving too high of a dose? The vet said 2 units twice a day was a good starting point. He doesn't really eat much, but will always eat the inaba churu treats (https://www.chewy.com/inaba-churu-tuna-chicken-puree/dp/184459), those are fine to give him right? They're low in carbs at least. At this point, he's very skinny, I think it's more important that he eats more than what he eats.

I just don't know how to get his numbers down, and I can only find stuff on this site about numbers that are too low not too high, can someone tell me where to look?

2. SashaV

SashaV Well-Known Member

I would be very helpful if you could set up a spreadsheet and your signature.

The first thing is to get him regulated. That's why he is skinny and won't gain weight, it's due to his high blood sugar.
    So it is very important to feed low carb, so it doesn't influence his BG and keep him high.

If you need help setting up a spreadsheet, please let us know.

3. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Can you post the BG with times now before you setup the SS?
    The form would be the the BG before the shot and the BG during the cure with a +X then BG when the X being how many hours after the shot the BG was taken.
    Also add the insulin you are using and how long at the 2 units.

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

If he's not yet regulated then, yes, Grendel will need to eat more, especially if he's very thin. Be sure to check how many calories are in his foods. If you can find one that has more calories per ounce that would be a good choice because it would deliver more calories to him while eating the same weight of food.

Have you any idea why he doesn't want to eat much? Have a look at this and see whether he might be showing any signs of nausea when presented with his regular foods:

Nausea and appetite problems - symptoms and treatments

See also:

Persuading your cat to eat

Suggestions for stimulating a cat's appetite

Mogs

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.