Hard time giving insulin tonight, took 3 stabs

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by StarburstMom, Jul 17, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

Starburst started her Preshot numbers the lowest they have been yet (low 400s), it took 3 tries to get her dosed tonight. She never fought me so much before. The vet tech did say that the fluids they gave her today required a bigger gauge needle so maybe she's traumatized from that (she still has fluid pockets in her legs from it but is acting fine, was a bit sliggish for a few hours after). I hope this is a one-off. I try distracting her with tasty treats and my oldest son tried to help and still it was real rough. Growling, wiggling, flinching, hissing. The syringes are 29g, I think if I get any smaller they will be too flimsy.

2. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA) Well-Known Member

I use 31 guage, 6mm length needle, and it's so much easier to inject than when I used 29 guage, 12.7mm length. The world of difference! And 31 guage is not remotely flimsy.

3. StarburstMom

StarburstMom Member

I will ask the vet for a prescription of them when I get the prescription for the freestyle libre. Thank you.
    I noticed she still has fluid pouches in her lower extremities and under her belly, I think the weight/bulge is pulling her skin down when standing up so it really was harder tonight because of it. I fear they gave her a bit too much fluids now, but she is acting fine, if pissy.

4. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Poor girl. She's had a tough day.
    I buy my syringes from Walmart, ReliOn brand. No prescription needed. However, the syringes are U100 and prozinc is a U40 insulin. I also use prozinc and I use the conversion chart provided on the message board.

StarburstMom likes this.
  5. Ann & Sister

Ann & Sister Member

I buy 1/2 unit syringes on line from ADW. You do not need a prescription from your vet. And it is about comfort. 31 gauge feels better.

6. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I also recommend the Sure Comfort syringes from ADW. I switched brands thinking that there was no difference and I could save a couple bucks. WRONG! Howie totally knew the difference and he was cringing and cowering away from me. As soon as I went back to the Sure Comforts, no problem! I also use the 31 gauge.

7. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

This is a really important point.
    Here's the link to the conversion chart and information about how to use it.
    Convert U 40 to U 100

8. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Hi Shelly. Can I ask where you found this info? Which forum? Thanks!

Shelley & Jess likes this.
  9. Shelley & Jess

Shelley & Jess Member

10. Daddy Jack's Mommy (GA)

Shelley & Jess likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.