? Help for Howie +11: 57, +11.25: 52, 11.5:55

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Howiesmom, Apr 10, 2022.

1. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I just picked Howie up from the vet lodge as I was traveling for work for a few days. They told me he started to drop yesterday (was high for his BGs when I dropped him off Tues). His +11 was 57 and his +11.25 was 52 (about 10 min ago). He has never really gone this low so appreciate help guiding me through this.

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

What is your reduction point?

I know I went with 70 when on Cabergoline, but Howie's been on it a long time.

If he were my cat, I would not be using the once under 40 or 3x under 50 on different days, because he's an acro cat on Cabergoline

He's on Levemir so hopefully this is nadir, I would give him about 2 tsp MC and test 20 mins after that. I'd also grab a test right now since it's been half hour since you posted

3. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thank you so much! His PMPS was 54 so I fed him with some MC food mixed in and did a 16.5 BCS. I wish the vet lodge would have called me when he was approaching these low #s. I sent MC and HC food with instructions on what to do if he got this low, but they must not have seen those instructions. I’ve been using a reduction point of 3xs in the 60s, so he’ll go down to 30 units tomorrow!

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Ok sounds good! And I hear that a lot from boarding facilities and even emergency vets too unfortunately :/

Would you mind putting 3x under 60 in your signature, and in your spreadsheet where TR is noted? It's roughly cell G1

Howiesmom likes this.
  5. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I would reduce too if it were my boy. Scary when this stuff happens at the pet lodge and they don’t follow your instructions.

I would have done the BCS too. See , you’ve got this!

Howiesmom likes this.
  6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

I am glad you are reducing. So odd that he suddenly went so green at the vet lodge. I wonder if maybe he wasn’t eating as well, or they were shooting a slightly different dose. Anyway, the next few days will tell. Glad you are back.

7. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Now he just shot a 47 at +7.75 today. Not sure what this is about (of course when I’m trying to get out the door). I know the problem at the vet lodge…they feed and insulin him 1.5 hrs earlier than his normal Dinner. I talked to my vet (the owner) about these earlier timings, but that is when they have staff available. When I’m gone for more than a couple cycles, I thought it would be better to have him at the vet lodge where they can look after him more vs having my critter sitter come over at breakfast and dinner. She charges $15/visit, so it’s not cheap but she at least follows the timings. I don’t know what to do in the future as I can’t afford to have the critter sitter come 3-4 times/day.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  8. Wendy&Neko

For future, one option is to put Howie on a reduced dose while you are gone, that you know will be safe. Maybe a dose that gets at most low blues. That way the petsitter could do just two visits a day. Plus he nadirs near PS, so you could also have instructions about skipping or shooting a lower dose if preshots less than some number. He'd been seeing the 70's on 33 units, which is a bit low for a vacation/trip away dose.

I think I'd try another BCS today, still seeing the effects of that 33 unit depot.

9. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Thank you so much, Wendy. I’m just so glad I decided to test him this afternoon before I was to go meet my mom. Otherwise he quite possibly could have gone hypo while I was gone. I will definitely do another BCS tonight. We are so lucky to have you!!

10. Wendy&Neko

So glad your spidey senses were working this afternoon!

11. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

I typically do a BCS if he’s in the low 60s at any point. What do you think would be a good number for skipping a dose for him? I’ve never come across that situation, but I also never thought I’d see a lime green color too!

12. Suzanne & Darcy

Do you mean that he is getting his insulin in the evening 1.5 hours early? Like at +10.5?

13. Howiesmom

Howiesmom Member

Yep, that is the latest they have/had staffing available. I love my vet and his staff as they do very well with Howie and all his quirks. But it is frustrating that they can’t make sure he is fed/insulin 12 hrs apart. I get it…staffing issues. But I also have to pay for him to be a hospital patient even though he stays in the lodge. There are no other lodging facilities where I live.

14. Suzanne & Darcy

I guess a vacation dose as Wendy suggested might be the best way. Hope Howie does okay tonight after the BCS. Paws crossed for a peaceful night.