Help it's Time to shoot need help with dosage

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Btwinny, Apr 12, 2019.

1. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Since being diagnosed scout has always tested around 275-350 right before shoot time. It's time to shoot and she just tested at 144. Tested again and it was 134. I've always given 1.5-2u. what do I do?

2. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

The protocol is to stall, without feeding, for 20 minutes and then retest to see if the blood glucose level is going up.

Jasper Blue and Jay likes this.
  3. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

I actually put the food away 2 hours ago.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  4. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

It's been 12 hours since her AMPs. At +6 she was 214. I always pull the food two hours before the shot

5. MrWorfMen's Mom

MrWorfMen's Mom Well-Known Member

Jenna means don't feed Scout yet. Hold the food for another 20 minutes and then retest Scout to see if her BG is coming up, staying flat or dropping.

6. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Well crap. I put the food out right after her test for her sisters and she's had a little. Still test in 20?

7. MrWorfMen's Mom

How much is a "little"? The big question is whether she is still dropping or not and with a food bump that is impossible to predict especially when you got a lower reading with your 2nd pre-shot check.

Jenna Josie likes this.
  8. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

Yes, pull the food from her, and do the retest at the appointed time. The reason to pull up the food is that as the kitty begins to metabolize it, it may begin to impact the BG level so that we can't tell if the BG is rising on its own or if it's rising b/c of the food entering the system.

9. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

No more than a quarter of a can of watered down fancy feast pate.

10. MrWorfMen's Mom

Ok. Given she dropped a good 100+ points during the day cycle and you don't have a lot of data and have never shot that low before or anything even close, I'd suggest you skip the shot tonight IF Scout has no history of ketones or DKA. If here is a history of either ketones or DKA, then we can discuss a reduced dose for tonight.

11. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Lol. She's a beast of a kitty who's been denied food since 7. (It's 10). She hates me.

She has no history of ketones or dka.
    Definitely not a lot of data as it's only been a week. I had to go out of town Weds afternoon and that's why it looks skimpy on data those two days

12. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Is dropping 100 points during the day since +6 a bad thing?

13. MrWorfMen's Mom

No the drop of a 100+ points is not a bad thing at all ....it's a good thing....but from a starting point of 134 it could be problematic and possibly dangerous. We usually work our way down to shooting lower pre-shots like 134 and your lowest so far has been the mid 200s. I'd skip tonight and feed your poor starving darling. :D

Jenna Josie likes this.
  14. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

ay cycdata and have never sin dosethat low before or anything even close, I'd suggest you skip the shot tonight IF Scout has no history of ketones or DKA. If here is a history of either ketones or DKA, then we can discuss a reduced dose for tonight.[/QdoQdo
    dos test dose

So test in 20. What if it jumps to about 200ish? How would I proceed with the shot?

15. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I agree with @MrWorfMen's Mom It looks like Scout has only been on insulin for a week, and the change in diet can have a very significant impact on BG. The "no shoot" number for new cats is 200, and unless Scout gets to that/very near it, I would skip.

Re: dropping 100 points during the day, it could be that Scout's pancreas, having gotten a little rest with the insulin support, is starting to kick in its own insulin and therefore helped to bring the BG down.

16. MrWorfMen's Mom

Don't worry about shooting tonight because that just ends up messing with your schedule and you're already past shot time. Besides since you fed Scout, we won't know if her BG was coming up naturally or if a higher reading is just food influence. Next time she has a low Pre-shot, don't feed her (no matter how much she protests! ) and retest 20 minutes later to see if she is rising, staying the same or still dropping.

17. Jenna Josie

Jenna Josie Member

I would be very surprised if she gets up that high in 20 minutes! Once you've stalled for an hour from normal shot time this early in a diagnosis and this far from 200, skipping -- and getting a good night's sleep! -- is just fine. You'll want to post in the morning with a new test. If it were me, I'd actually try to get a preliminary test about one hour before I actually wanted to shoot. That way, when I got that *actual* AMPS, I would have a sense of where the BG was trending.

MrWorfMen's Mom likes this.
  18. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

She has always been free fed dry with wet food as a treat in Sundays. I pulled all dry on Sunday for good. I have been patiently waiting and hoping to see some sort of natural results from the switch soon

19. MrWorfMen's Mom

Scout may be a bit higher tomorrow AM but she'll get back on track very quickly. And you get to sleep soundly tonight!

20. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

The AMPs test happens at 8:30. I test her at 6, feed her, and them pull food so she has no food 2 hours prior to shot. So yup.... There's always a 2 hour pre-test.

21. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

Thank you so much for your help!!! I love this group

Jenna Josie and MrWorfMen's Mom like this.
  22. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

And I haven't uploaded a pic cause they are all to big but scout is a long hair all black kitty. Gotta love the all black furrbabies!!

23. Btwinny

Btwinny Member

I just tested her. So it's +2 from when she would normally get her pmps. She's 201. She did get her grub on so I'm sure that's food influenced. I'm still skipping because it's 2 hours past pmps. We shall see where she's at in the morning.