Help - Need syringes now - I ran out of syringes

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Carrie Arrowsmith, May 19, 2024.

1. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

I thought I still had 10 syringes before my auto-delivery arrives. I do not. It's 7pm Eastern Time Sunday in the US. where can I get syringes now? I can order on amazon but they won't be here until 4am-8am - that will be two shots we miss. Syringes have to be purchased from the pharmacy - correct??

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, from a pharmacy. I don't know if Indiana requires a prescription for syringes. Some states will sell a 10 pack without. Call a pharmacy and ask.
    Perhaps ask on the forum's Facebook page.

3. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

They do not require a script but all of them are closed. There is one 24hr pharmacy about 30 miles from me, I can go over there but we are 3hrs past her shot time. I called a diabetic family member and asked or a few syringes as well. Thanks.

Diane Tyler's Mom likes this.
  4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Carrie Arrowsmith
    I hope your family member can help you out.
    Looking at your spreadsheet you last tested Bianca on 5-5
    Have you done any tests since then ?
    I would also suggest getting more tests in for both cycles especially at night.
    Following SLGS after 7 days in the same size you should be doing a 12 hour curve
    You need to find her nadir the lowest point in the cycle so you know whether her dose needs to be decreased if she drops below 90

From the SLGS method
    Hold the dose for at least a week:
    • Unless your cat won’t eat or you suspect hypoglycemia
    • Unless your kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L). If kitty falls below 90 mg/dL (5 mmol/L) decrease the dose by 0.25 unit immediately.
    After 1 week at a given dose perform a 12 hour curve, testing every 2 hours OR perform an 18 hour curve, testing every 3 hours. Note: Random spot checks are often helpful to "fill in the blanks" on kitty's spreadsheet.The goal is to learn how low the current dose is dropping kitty prior to making dose adjustments.
    • If nadirs are more than 150 mg/dl (8.3 mmol/L), increase the dose by 0.25 unit
    • If nadirs are between 90 (5 mmol/L) and 149 mg/dl (8.2 mmol/L), maintain the same dose
    • If nadirs are below 90 mg/dl (5mmol/L), decrease the dose by 0.25 unit

Last edited: May 19, 2024
  5. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

How did you go getting the syringes?

6. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

I'm sorry I didn't see this sooner. My sister was able to bring me syringes and I had 2 more boxes delivered by 7am from Amazon, and my autoship arrives on June 5th - so I think I have a good stash going now!

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  7. Carrie Arrowsmith

Carrie Arrowsmith Member

Sorry I did not respond sooner. I updated her spreadsheet. I test her everyday, right now it's mostly AMPS and PMPS - occasionally I can get a few tests in the middle of a cycle but it's not easy because I am at work and then home taking care of my 7yr old. We are doing the best we can right now. I did not expect to run out of syringes but I have 3 boxes stocked up and will make sure I don't let that happen again. We will be doing a curve very soon, I have gotten much better at testing and Miss Bianca and I are finding our way. I have a long weekend home alone coming up that I will be able to do nothing but relax with her and focus on her curve. It will do us both some good. Thank you for the tips!