Help..running out of insulin and vet closed for weather

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Crazypetlady, Jan 31, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crazypetlady

Crazypetlady Member

So, a whole slew of bad events has led to this point. Ice and snow we didn't know was coming, vet closing unexpectedly yesterday ...monday for family emergency, and me getting so sick last week my husband did the injections and didn't tell me we were getting low on insulin till I discovered it Sunday.
    Tigger is 4 months out from diagnosis and doing good. We have found our system. However, I have one full dose left and maybe half one. Possible bad weather and closures continue through tomorrow worst case Thurs. It doesn't last long here but when it's here everything shuts down.
    How do I get through this. Half the full dose and get 3 injections...think of them as bad fur shots like I did when first learning, skip a one injection tonight and do full and half tomorrow.
    But if closed Thursday back to problem. Or maybe vet open but still miss the morning one.
    My mother has sone novolin n from her diabetic dog that passed 3 months ago. If I can make it to her house to get it could I use it till vet opens and then switch back to vetsulin. What's the conversion from vetsulin 5 units twice a day to the novolin N 100units.
    I even called every vet in our radius (small rural area) and they either didn't have vetsulin, closed early for weather or refused to help because Tigger is not their patient.
    Help

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

What is dose?
    How ell is BG being controlled?
    Regarding getting the Vetsulin from another ver I would contact your vet. Frequently vets help on another in a situation like this.

3. Crazypetlady

Crazypetlady Member

Is BG runs low 200. But very consistent in that range. Maybe once or twice a week mid or high 200. Never gone below 200 since diagnosis. The issue is
    My vet is closed. Yesterday too that's the problem bad weather has closed everything done. Vet included.

4. Crazypetlady

Crazypetlady Member

Sorry, usually dose is 5 of vetsulin 2 x day. 630am ...630pm weekdays 7am...7pm weekends (I sleep in a bit)

5. Larry and Kitties

Are you testing BG@home?
    Novolin N is similar to Vetsulin and would work satisfactorily in a pinch. However, the dose of N would have to be reduced a little. Testing BG@home would be advantageous.

6. Crazypetlady

Crazypetlady Member

Yes
    I test a few times a week generally evening. Tigger is very temperamental and it's taken me months of trying different routines to get him to not fight the insulin shot. He hates you messing with his ears and almost a guaranteed way to get him worked up.
    Alot of fur shots I'm the beginning.
    What would the novolin n conversion be.

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

8. Larry and Kitties

N insulin drops BG a little faster than Vetsulin and that is why reducing the dose from that used for Vetsulin is usually in order. With the BG you stated earlier a reduction in dose might not be necessary but I myself would not risk it.
    When were the BG you provided taken with regards to when the 5 units of Vetsulin was given? 5 units is a high dose especially for Vetsulin and 4 months after diagnostic. Usual starting dose is 1 unit and it is increased as necessary by ¼ unit increments. The 5 units of vetsulin may be too high and may be why BGs are not lower than 200.

Most of us here record are BGs and dose in a spreadsheet.
    https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/how-to-create-a-spreadsheet.241706/
    In necessary someone here can create a spreadsheet for you.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  9. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

I used Novolin R, not Novolin N, so I am not much help here. Larry has used the Novolin N, so he's your best adviser here.

10. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

As Larry mentioned there is no "conversion", assuming you also get the correct syringes (and be very careful to use the correct syringes). And I also agree that without any data, and knowing that's already an unusually high Vetsulin dose, it's wise to reduce the dose if giving N.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  11. JL and Chip

JL and Chip Well-Known Member

Emphasis on this point!!

If you do get some N insulin, please know that it is different “strength” (concentration) than your Vetsulin, so you will either need to get u-100 syringes OR draw to a different line on your current syringes. Otherwise, you will overdose your cat significantly, which can be life threatening.

Note: even if you are currently using u-100 syringes with Vetsulin, you will still need to draw to a different mark on the syringe if you start using N.

Ask and we can help you figure it out.

Suzanne & Darcy and FrostD like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.