? help with pancreatitis/pyelonephritis 5/29 Yoyo AMPS 155,

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Debra and Yoyo, May 29, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Debra and Yoyo

Debra and Yoyo Well-Known Member

Hello,

Please- if anyone can shed some light on to me regarding treatment for pancreatitis and pyelonephritis it would be greatly appreciated.

Yoyo just got his result back from the SNAPfpl and it was 4.3 which the vet says is high and that he has pancreatitis.

Yoyo also had an ultrasound on Wednesday and findings included a normal size pancreas and dilated ureters going into the kidney. I was told that the dilated ureters could be from the IV fluids....any thoughts on that?

Yoyo has blood in his urine for a very long time,2-3 yrs, (some past tests show blood and some tests show No presence of blood in the urine).... currently there is blood present and can also be seen in urine when free catch is caught!

Yoyo was very sick on Monday and was seen at the vet for a fever of 103.6, lethargic, not eating, drinking a lot and urinating a lot.

Kidney values came back normal, they are better than they have been in over a year so that confuses me too! These results are from in house blood wk and blood wk sent out to IDEXX. BUT the SDMA is high at 18 and vet wrote this is renal disease. Is the SDMA suggesting a kidney infection or is that different than renal disease??????

Vet gave cerrenia injection on Tuesday and convenia injection on Wednesday. Fever has gone down and Yo has had a normal temp since yesteday.

We are still waiting for the urine culture and sensitivity report to come back. Probably won't be back until next week. This is why the vet is waiting on a different med but I worry about his kidneys because of the mention of the dilated ueters.

Sorry if I wrote this in around about way, didn't mean to confuse anyone, just looking for some advice especially about dilated ueters and kidneys.

Thank you!!

2. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

I have no experience with either but this post will bump this to the top!

Best wishes for Yoyo!

3. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you!!

jt and trouble (GA) likes this.
  4. jt and trouble (GA)

jt and trouble (GA) Well-Known Member

Hey thats the easy part wish I could actually help. :(

5. Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA)

Ale & Bobo & Minnie (GA) Well-Known Member

Same for me no experience with either but sending you and Yoyo good thoughts. Hang on for more responses! :cat:

6. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

When my cat had bloodwork a few months ago for her dental, the vet recommended doing the SDMA test as well and said that it can detect kidney disease earlier than Crea and Bun. The information page from IDEXX says:

“SDMA increases as early as 25% loss of kidney function, making SDMA more reliable in both acute or active kidney injury and chronic kidney disease. Creatine cannot identify kidney issues until almost 75% of kidney function is lost”

Now I’m not sure if it’s possible that something else going on is affecting SDMA, just that this info may explain why SDMA is elevated but the other kidney values are not

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

The SMDA is a relatively new test that shows up kidney disease earlier than the routine tests do.

With the blood in the urine has the vet mentioned FLUTD? Google it and see what you think. Sheba had blood in her urine and it was not a UTI but FLUTD. There are things you can do to support it.

With the pancreatic test, the Snap fPL is a yes/no result.
    The SpecFPL gives a number. It is my understand that 5.4 is when the result is positive for pancreatitis. Between 3.6 and 5.3 it is elevated.
    I would not call 4.3 high though. I would think symptoms would need to be taken into consideration as well with a test of 4.3.
    I’ll tag @Marje and Gracie to check that I am correct.

8. Debra and Yoyo

Thank you for the info on FLUTD. I'll do some research on it as I never heard of it before.

Thank you for tagging Marje but I have already talked her ear off...she is the best and so knowledgeable:)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.