He's shrinking--- quickly

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA, Jan 5, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA Member

October 1..... 13 lbs 1 oz

October 23..... 12 lbs 6 oz

December 17..... 11 lbs 7 oz

December 21..... 10 lbs 11 oz

December 28.....10 lbs 2 oz

January 5..... 9 lbs 12 oz

He's back on his full dose of Pred (7.5mg), eating Kitten Chow (dry), DM (dry) and Friskies wet, but not much of each. I'm going to look at Janet's charts and get a bunch of high calorie food.

I'd take a picture of him but it would make you cry.

I wish I knew WTH was wrong... and what to do about it.

2. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

Oh Carolynn I'm so sorry, I know you're heartbroken.

Fancy Feast Gold dry is the crappiest crap ever but Oscar ate that when he ate little else. I hope that helps a little!

((((hugs)))) and healing thoughts headed to Connecticut..

3. Venita

Venita Well-Known Member

EVO dry cat and kitten is highly calorie.

Also A/D wet, a prescription food from vets. I often use it when there are serious eating problems. Many kitties find it palatable when nothing else peaks their appetite. It also has a good consistency for syringe feeding.

I've also heard people recommend hamburger patties from McDonald and chicken from KFC in this situation. Deli meat--chicken and turkey.

4. WCF and Meowzi

WCF and Meowzi Well-Known Member

oh no. (((fletcher)))

eukanuba's maximum calorie has almost twice as much calories as a/d, ounce for ounce. i don't know how palatable it is, though, but if you're syringe feeding (can acrokitties be syringe-fed??) you'll be able to get more calories in in the same amt of food with max cal, if you kwim.

5. Patti and Merlin

Patti and Merlin Member

Oh Carolynn
    I HATE HATE HATE seeing this. I hate seeing those numbers. It's like it's too much in our face. I'm so worried with you. Can you add nutrical - is that what it's called? It's a paste hi in calories/vitamins/etc to feed them too? I remember giving that to one of our kitties once who wasn't eating much! You got it from the vet! Oh if only all the love and hugs I have for both of you could add the weight. I am racking my brain but have nothing to offer. nailbite_smile

The others are so much more knowledgeable.......

6. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

Thanks everyone-- I really mean it. I'm not syringe feeding him. He's eating on his own and showing interest in it, just not consuming much. He won't eat A/D, but I can try the Max Calorie and/or the Evo.

I think it's just boiling down to the fact that he's going to be a 15 year old boy who's been a diagnosed acrocat for almost 3 years (and we know that he was an acrocat before it was "official"). I promised him then that I would fight like hell for him... maybe it's to the point where he doesn't want me to fight anymore. Maybe all he wants now is for me to love him...

7. Carolyn and Spot

Carolyn and Spot Well-Known Member

I understand that. ((((hugs)))) You will know, he will tell you what he wants. And you have always loved him and he well knows that. :)

8. Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA

Sheila & Beau GA & Jeddie GA Well-Known Member

Carolynn, those numbers and the photo in the other thread are dramatic, to say the least. Sorry if this is redundant in any way, but has he been checked for hyperthyroid? In the photo, his coat looks rough like my oldest with hyper-T - and the weight loss is similar. Even my lymphoma girl's coat didn't get too bad, but she lost weight very rapidly. I fed her AD and Nutrical - and anything else she would eat - and all the inticement tricks we all know from heating food to tuna juice mixed in. My hyper-T civvie will eat ANYthing at this point.

Give him a pat from me....

9. Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake

Jennifer+Spunky(GA)+Peake Member

Ditto on the hyperthyroid...wish wish wish.

10. Carolynn FletcherGA & RobbieGA

His T4 was 1.8 (reference range of 0.8 - 4.0), so that's not playing a role. I wish it was, but highly doubt he'd be eligible for I131 and would worry about how he'd react to the tapazole anyway.

I'm in the process of shaving him so will post a new pic when I get it.

11. Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby

Dawn and Mateo Wiggles & Toby Member

I'm so sorry about the weight loss. I hope he will start putting on some weight soon.

12. tuckers mom

tuckers mom Well-Known Member

I'm sorry. Agree that EVO dry is high calorie and may help. We've also used Fancy Feast Medley's canned to some that wouldn't eat. That and warming the food seems to help. If there's anything I can do, I'm here.

13. stephanie and pheobe

stephanie and pheobe New Member

(((Fletcher))) - sending heaps of love - and Carolynn - I am so sorry he hasn't improved but, its good he's eating - I would just feed him whatever he wants - dry and all - what the hell

You know I'm thinking of you guys
    Steph
    xxx

14. Beth

Beth New Member

I'm sorry Carolynn that you are going through this but what you wrote is exactly what I was going to reply with. The hardest part of being an owner is being able to be honest with yourself and acknowledge when the time has come and the fighting has to stop and the loving farewell starts. Be open to what your heart and Fletcher are telling you and listen to it. If they say fight, then fight. But if deep down you hear the message you never want to hear - to stop, be brave and hear it. You'll do what's right, you always have.

B

15. Magnus

Magnus New Member

Hang in there. Have been thinking about Fletch...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.