High number 09/05/2021

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Haylee&Tigger, Sep 5, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

So it’s been a while since I’ve posted in the forum simply because Tigger went into remission and was doing perfectly. He has been acting like he’s starving lately so I tested him (I still test him every once in a while just to see where he’s at). He got 191. So it is definitely not as high as he was when I first came to this forum but I wanna keep him in check. He’s been eating the same food, FF since I’ve last posted however I will admit that quite a few of the pates make him sick now so I have resulted to giving him some of the “flaked/grilled/etc” but it looks like I will have to just pick two flavors I know he likes that are pate and stick with them. I didn’t know it could potentially spike him up like that. He has currently (within the last two weeks at least) been eating pate a pate and a flaked variety. My spreadsheet should still be in my signature, so you all can see.

I’m attempting to brainstorm at the same time I write this, maybe monitor him for a week and see how he does. Remove the flaked variety and just use pate and see if his number goes back down to a normal level. If it doesn’t and he’s still in the blues or goes up, what should I do then? The thing about my vet is that they were of NO help to me from the very start of him being diagnosed. They gave me Vetsulin, gave him a super high starting dose that definitely would have caused him to drop way too low. This forum has been me and my cats only saving grace. :cat: If I do need to go to the vet, what specifically should I ask for to be done? Should I start insulin again? I’m just wondering what would have caused this out of nowhere if it isn’t the food varieties.

Also, if any rules or anything have changed, I probably don’t remember and could use a refresher. I hope I did everything correctly with posting and titling.

2. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Haylee&Tigger likes this.
  3. tiffmaxee

tiffmaxee Well-Known Member

Don’t do anything based upon one test. I’d go back to feeding pates and lc only and see what that dies. How are his teeth? I’d get labs done if the numbers remain high. Give tge food change time to work unless the numbers keep going up. Start checking 3-4 hours after eating to see if his pancreas brings down the bg. Good luck.

4. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

Thank you so much for your thoughts, I just wanted to make sure I’m going about this the right way.

5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'd also take a look at Dr. Lisa's food chart. There are some additional FF flavors that are low carb.

I agree with what Elise suggested. I'd start getting some additional tests so you have a better feel for how Tigger's numbers are playing out over the course of a couple of days. It will also tell you if it's the food that's the problem. It helps to remember that if your cat is in remission, it doesn't mean the diabetes is cured. It means your cat is diet controlled. Feed your cat higher carb food and your kitty's pancreas may not be able to manage the additional carbs.

The other thing that often throws a cat our of remission is the need for a dental cleaning. If there's any gingivitis or other inflammation/infection, BG numbers will rise. It's another reason that getting the tests you've been getting is so helpful. A rise in BG may be a signal that there's something going on that means a vet visit.

If Tigger needs to be on insulin, Lantus or Prozinc are the types of insulin that are recommended by the American Animal Hospital Assn. Chewy's is among the least expensive resource for Prozinc. Lantus can be purchased through Canada at a fraction of the cost in the US. A biosimilar (generic) is now available and is more reasonably priced -- it's called Semglee.

Haylee&Tigger likes this.
  6. Haylee&Tigger

Haylee&Tigger Member

So I think I am going to have to set him an appointment. I have updated his numbers on the SS. Sometimes he'll get a lower number that brings my hopes up but it seems like everyday at some point he'll get a high number. They are all over the place. My question now is when I go to my vets website to book him an appointment the options are:

CBC
    Liver Screening
    Kidney Screening
    Thyroid Testing
    Urine Testing

I know I will be getting the CBC. But should he get any of the other options?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.