hiii... been on main forum; 1st time here, thinking of switching soon :)

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by kitten68, May 21, 2024.

1. kitten68

kitten68 Member

hi everyone :cat: well.. thinking of changing this week to Lantus (from Vetsulin..) if can try doing so.. was thinkingg maybe tmw. BUT do have some questions if anyone can maybe give an idea.. not sure if right time but of course wanting to do so as soon as possible..:

I am trying to do so on a day where I can be home and vet is also open.. will only be home all day tmw this week (aside from weekend, which I like to avoid anyway in case its sideways..).. also doing my best to be as informed as possible too but so much is going on rn that im trying to juggle so many things.. im thinking next week might be a better time. :( WILL be increasing his dosage tho tonite.. (2/2 U both AM/PM.. currently 2/1.5 U AM/PM) cuz its definitely time. moving to next week also just gives me more time to prepare and read.. I want so BADLY to start tho on that, the Lantus.. but I don't know if too much is going on rn.. to do so. :( stuff is popping up this week.. its been crazy. also too, of course w life it isn't feasible to be home all the time.. is one day able to supervise when he's starting it enough? maybe then can start tmw.. lmk if anyone has an idea. :confused:

understand a curve at the vet is discouraged cause numbers will be inaccurate due to stress, can make for an incorrect dose... and its $$. anyone w any tips on first time curve at home (from changing to new meds) would be much appreciated too. :)

AS WELL, it ok to change/up the dose on Vetsulin tonite, and then just start Lantus tmw?.. or should wait or something (like shoot for next week)? I don't know if this matters..

if start next week, will do so early in the week. if start this week, lookin like tmw.. (if can read everything.. ugh)..

THANK U!

Shell likes this.
  2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Welcome to LBL forum to you and Pudge. :)

I would pick a day to start when you can monitor fairly closely the first couple of days. For us, that means getting a +3, +6 and +9 to start. If you start tomorrow, what tests can you get the following day? We might still be able to make it work.

I can understand the eagerness to switch. Neko was first put on Caninsulin (what Vetsulin is called rest of world). She and I were thrilled to switch. Yes, you can change the Vetsulin dose tonight. Vetsulin is an in and out insulin and won't impact tomorrow, other than possibly giving you a slightly lower AM preshot number to start with.
    Do you have anything you are switching other than the insulin? Any other meds?

kitten68 likes this.
  3. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: May 21, 2024
    kitten68 likes this.
  4. kitten68

kitten68 Member

hiii thanks a lot.. :cat: ok.. will do so. was talking to vet and he was saying every +2.. but 3 hours is okay for first curve? i kno many people tho do it one weekends because theyre home all day. do you have an opinion on that? unfortunately the following day i would have missed important times probably +3 and +6.. so not great.

great to know tho about changing the meds generally immediately and it not being a problem. :)

i can't explain how much i can't wait to change.. im hating the Vetsulin rn. :( the up and downs are terrible. he's on 2/2 U and so far.. idk. will see i guess the next few days..

and only just switching the insulin; he also takes a fish oil and a probiotic for reference as well in addition to Revolution (regular) for stopping bugs and mites.. :)

5. kitten68

kitten68 Member

hello :) well.. not sure what's going on but the Vetsulin here might be losing potency.. (idk.) or has.. just tested at +2 and it's more or less the same from AMPS....... oh boy. might have to start Lantus this weekend.. it's all we got. would it appear the Vetsulin is no good?.. shook the vial and looked ok. i heard ppl here on the forum are able to get longer shelf life out of their Vetsulin.. not sure what's happened. :( he's usually up and more alert by this time.. and he's mostly sleeping rn.

and was thinking anyway even tho the vet is out of town, part of me feels like who cares cuz sometimes I don't particularly like em (tho I do think he's pretty competent.. not enough tho to give me a choice of insulins, just assumed based off cost to do Vetsulin..... where could we be, idk. or at least I'd have had the choice...) and so thinking of starting Lantus over this weekend when I can be home more.. what do you think? i just can't budget any vet visits or anything rn is the trouble.. tho I hate how it (Vetsulin) wears off and he just goes back into high numbers.. it sucks. :( I'm running low on supplies as well.. and what with the Vesulin.. looked ok when I made the syringe. o_O:rolleyes:.... idk tho. i was waiting to see how long the Vetsulin will appear to last also at 2 U's.. but looks like maybe not much more at all. weekends are kinda a good time to start something new generally right? :/

any advice much appreciated...... :( :(

@Sienne and Gabby (GA) @Wendy&Neko @Diane Tyler's Mom @Bandit's Mom @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Suzanne & Darcy @Don Degludec @Shell :cat:

6. Wendy&Neko

Vetsulin questions are best asked on the Feline Health forum.

If you start Lantus on the weekend, just make sure you have some high carb food and a hypo kit available, which means plenty of test strips. You may not need them, but best be prepared in case you do. What supplies are you running low on?

Shell and kitten68 like this.
  7. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

@Wendy&Neko
    Hi Wendy, @kitten68 private messaged me and said
    I am also running out of U40s along with the vial..... lol smh. (shaking my head) o_O:rolleyes:.... idk tho. to wait or not.. im seeing how long the Vetsulin will appear to last also at 2 U's.. but weekends are kinda a good time generally right? :/

kitten68 likes this.
  8. kitten68

kitten68 Member

hii UPDATE.. Vetsulin IS working quite a bit still.. it did bring things down. phew. cause its the weekend and starting isn't ideal.. but thinking to see how things go over the weekend. :) will stay with Vetsulin for next few days.. but if do decide to change, will definitely inform. :cat: thanks for caring about kittles and me. appreciate this place. and starting Lantus next week, probably Monday or Wednesday..

i have to say tho.. reading the hypo stickies and everything really freaks me out!!!!! :( ...

Heather82372 likes this.
  9. kitten68

kitten68 Member

hii :) well.. whoops! will post on my other thread.. and oh boy. well. will see then.. it's also a holiday weekend. business doesn't generally pick up til Tuesday.. but vet might be open Monday. and in that case....... will definitely try waiting at least til Monday.. :/ this hypo stuff freaks me out!!! and running low on syringes and a bit on Vetsulin.. but should last least the weekend. o_O

10. Shell

Shell Member

Hi! You are absolutely right! A curve at the vet will stress them. And, their numbers will elevate due to the stress. My cat is a grazer, so even worse, he would probably be too stressed to eat, so it would just be inaccurate.

There's nothing to an at home curve. I take a test every 2 hours, noting the numbers. And, just let him go about his day. Easy :)

kitten68 likes this.
  11. kitten68

kitten68 Member

hiii!!! :) :) cool! it was suggested to me better to do at home :cat:, and saves coin.. honestly. and what's the point if the numbers are gonna be trash potentially.. and mine certainly wouldn't eat either. :/

cool!.. makes it sounds generally easy.. thanks for making it sound relaxed too haha. :cat:

(shell this hypo stuff tho..... is freaking me outt.. it freaks me out!! :(:blackeye:o_O)

Shell likes this.
  12. Wendy&Neko

Or not, my cat's numbers went down at the vet. I did have another cat whose numbers went up, ECID.

You are right to be concerned about hypos, they are dangerous. But we do all we can to try to avoid them - hence home testing, slowly increasing the dose, and being prepared with higher carbs. Plus you can get lots of help here when kitty goes low. You'll see we have a Sticky Note on how to handle low numbers. Once you figure out how carb sensitive Pudge is, you will be in control.

kitten68 and Shell like this.
  13. Shell

Shell Member

I have the same anxiety about hypo. I've had honey and a little syringe set aside, but I have not encountered an incident so far. But, when I see the numbers falling unusually low I am hyper-alert.

I believe the best way to stay away from hypo is to make sure that they eat well enough before their shot. For instance, Pumpkin had hairballs overnight last night. This change of season and warm up is driving me crazy with the subsequent hair balls. And at the same time, he also brought up food. As a result of him bringing everything up, the numbers did fall. This morning, his number was in safe range, but I held the shot. Even after 2 hours, I saw it in the greens (which is actually good), but encouraged him to have a little snack due to my anxiety. Please note, on a human monitor the action number is actually 50. It's just my anxiety about hypo that gets me trying to make sure that he has something. My Vet has said many times "better higher than low". Low meaning hypo. Of course, prolonged high numbers are not what she means. But, for me, when in doubt, I just go down the rabbit hole of 'close watch' on him.

And, tonight on the PM cycle, very soon I am going to test him so I can sleep easy.

And... another thing I just remembered to mention. My Vet said that in order to perform an accurate curve, he needs to be on the exact same consistent dosage for 7 - 10 days. In the beginning it was 10. However, I learned that SLGS is 7 days. But, these half shots and no shots disrupt the whole 7 day period. So, for example since he had no shot this morning, I am back to day 1 of 7. If he is able to stay on 2 units, 2x daily for 7 consistent days, I can then perform the curve. But, if he has no shot, or a half shot, I start all over again.

Last edited: May 24, 2024
    kitten68 likes this.
  14. kitten68

kitten68 Member

ok... :cat::blackeye: i see that for sure.. right. low doses the way to go.. also! wild ppl are managing .1 and .2 doses (!) ... and yess will read that one too.. so much reading.. just got done w insulin care and pen use..

15. kitten68

kitten68 Member

omg Shell it's like :blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye::blackeye:... but y'know.. and oh man thats nice to hear.. i ALWAYS make sure and try my best to make sure Pudgles eats well PS.. :/ always, always. ill even put more food on the plate. and he's so good, eats his meal.. so sorry to hear Pumpkin has hairballs rn.. trying to think what can help that.... does he eat dry food still at all?

and ty for that reminder! i was reading like below 50-30 is trouble town. omg i want to start the Lantus so bad.. i detest having to wait. :( i just want him to feel as best he can.. this has been difficult. ive had so much im juggling rn.. my brain is in multiple places. finally got the meds, and turns out to be a holiday weekend the damn vet aint gonna be here..... omg. thing is too, Lantus also may not be the one cause ECID??? hearing Levemir and some others get tried too from there.. noo.

y'know.. it's a thing, working around everything. and each day is different.. im seeing we get better at dealing w things the more we accustom and learn from it.. and see how our specific situation tends to be. just ughhhh.... o_O

16. Shell

Shell Member

Yes, he's eating dry food. He has a small scoop of Fancy Feast pre shot though.

17. kitten68

kitten68 Member

i can just speak for mine and know some kitties just won't do without dry, but once transitioned to a pretty wet diet, hairballs essentially once maybe twice a year it feels like.. not even. maybe has something to do w being hydrated.. ALSO... mine is shorthair. Pumpkin longhaired?:cat:

tried looking up some stuff for u.. know vets sell things to put on the paw to get hairs moving.. also some people said smalll amount of olive oil?.. hm. :bookworm:

Shell likes this.
  18. Shell

Shell Member

Yes, as long as it doesn't have fructose, glucose or any basic sugar in it :) The first time I was on this forum was for my cat Amy. I discovered she was diabetic when I was giving her Cat Lax from the vet. It's a laxative / hairball remedy. And she ended up getting really sick one day. The vet I used at the time, IMO was not my favorite choice. All I was able to learn from the visit though, was that she was diabetic. And, I checked the ingredients of the Cat Lax, which she was getting 2 - 3 X a week before she was diagnosed. So I'll be mindful to check ingredients.

I also thought I should wash his favorite cat bed because it had collected its fair share of hair lately. I don't know that it will help, but I am hoping.

kitten68 likes this.
  19. kitten68

kitten68 Member

ugh!! what's in cat lax?? a bunch of sugars? and yes! try it why not. also does he get brushed/can he be brushed? :)

20. kitten68

kitten68 Member

SO.. i am looking at dosing methods.. and idk what im looking at. its not registering. :)

will keep reading.. hopefully sinks in. o_O:woot:..

if anyone can maybe give me a little summary on the both.. be a great help. :/

(i sorta leaning towards SLGS at the moment cuz its similar to what we doing now on Vetsulin.. even the figures with reducing, maintaining, etc.... i dont understand TR so far.. haha *cries :p)

Last edited: May 25, 2024
    Shell likes this.
  21. Shell

Shell Member

Yes, the main ingredient is fructose I think. So, that is probably how she got sick enough for me to take her to the vet to discover her condition.

Pumpkin gets brushed and combed. :) The hairballs aren't even very big, but he gets rid of them.

That's why I'm so concerned right now because he seems to be doing it overnight.

kitten68 likes this.
  22. Shell

Shell Member

I do SLGS. I am not as experienced as many people here. But, I understand TR is an aggressive treatment and that PM tests are a must. There are 2 meals a day and I don't believe it's for grazers.

And, SLGS is a system of raising, lowering and / or even maintaining dosages based on curves, I believe. Best for grazers. I am not sure, but it just feels safer to me. But, that is just my preference and others prefer the TR.

kitten68 likes this.
  23. kitten68

kitten68 Member

terrible! that didnt help surely.. u think it helped cause it? o_O.. im telling you. (the pet industry can be trash...)

and oh boy.. :( yup. when asleep.. yeahh.. hm. has he had spells of hairballs before? how long they last?

and ty! i DO NOT understand how to do TR.. hm. just found some more links on the Lantus sticky.. will read. probably will just go w SLGS too.. cause its very similar to Vetsulin method.. and just seems easier right. but the TR gets results fast or?..im makng myself do PM tests, cuz was told need to.. and boy am i tired....

Shell likes this.
  24. kitten68

kitten68 Member

omg.. what is this calipers stuff? are the syringes still inaccurate with measuements?.... i have the ReliOns.. o_Oo_Oo_Oo_O

Shell likes this.
  25. Shell

Shell Member

I saw your last post about calipurs. My own Vet actually mentioned that. Did you see these ?

https://felinediabetes.com/FDMB/threads/dosing-with-calipers-updated-w-videos.79851/

I think with TR, you may have to shoot even when they are low. I may be mistaken, so if someone jumps in, please correct me. But, I have learned quite a bit about SLGS. I really like the flexibility it provides because of my tremendous anxiety about hypo. I think TR may be more aggressive toward hopes of remission.

I am very tired also. But, based on what has been going on the past couple of mornings, I am also going to get in a PM test, so staying up.

kitten68 likes this.
  26. kitten68

kitten68 Member

omg.. honestly. cant do it just cant lol.. but its to get a morw accurate dose? dont neeed to right?.. theyre generally ok (the syringes?)?… lol ugh.

And hm! yes.. am finding the SLGS method to be easier understood.. feeling same way sbout SLGS and hearing Tr is aggressive.. but eh.

man.. took this weekend to get some much needed stillness and rest. :coffee:

Shell likes this.
  27. Shell

Shell Member

Yes, I eyeball the dose. You can practice with water. I've tried so that I can try to get a better feel for doses as they go from. .25, .5, .75, 1 etc.

If practicing with water, I've found it easier to try to draw slower to avoid bubbling.

kitten68 likes this.
  28. kitten68

kitten68 Member

I was thinking of sitting at the table today and looking at the syringes.. good advice. maybe ill try it. i ALSO appreciate that the physical amount is much less (right? cause 2 units is a lot under the skin.. know some kitties have much higher amounts! :( he was hurting yesterday w the shot.. I keep accidentally hitting the same spot..) .. and that you can feed, GIVE THE SHOT RIGHT AFTER, and go on about the day/night.. woof. the day is Wednesday. :cat::cat:.. im so excited. and terrified. :woot:

cause.. tho its better, cause its long acting, and also builds up in the system, and is supposedly gentler and encourages much better healing (yay) can't afford to make no mistakes cause of that..... o_O trying to read everything I can....... but feel pretty prepared. will be making new thread ~ heard after 25 on insulin boards to do this?... also have a number of concerns and questions rn. :cat::cat:

29. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please review the New to the Group sticky. Posting guidelines are different on this Board than on Health. On this board, members are asked to make one post per day. There is also a convention for how to title your posts.

kitten68 likes this.
  30. kitten68

kitten68 Member

Last edited: May 27, 2024