? How long before restarting insulin?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Sarah&Soph, Sep 18, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Sophie has been OTJ since July 2019. I test her BG at least once a week and it is usually in the 80s and 90s, occasionally low 100s.

When I got home from work on Monday, I noticed she wasn't feeling very well - she seemed kind of nauseous, didn't really want to eat, just kind of blah. I THINK she may have had an upset stomach from some turkey I gave her on Sunday (oversight on my part, she likely has a fowl intolerance :facepalm:), but this is just speculation. I tested her BG and it was 180 and a few hours later when I retested it was 188/201. Yesterday her BG was 129, this morning it was 153 1.5 hours after eating, and this evening it was 142 (all in my speadsheet). She seems to be feeling better for the most part.

My question is, how long should I wait before restarting her on insulin again? Should I give it another week? A few more days? She seems to be feeling better but being a cat, she could still feel a little yucky and just be hiding it. She does have dental problems, but she just had a dental in May, so only 4 months ago, and at her last vet visit in August the vet noticed some tartar but nothing else concerning. That being said, she does have tooth resorption, so it could be hard to know.

2. Idjit's mom

Idjit's mom Well-Known Member

I don't have an answer Sarah, but wishing Sophie a settled tummy, a returned appetite and back to her former BG levels. :bighug::cat:

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

With the recent illness, I'd give her a few more days......I'd also get her teeth checked again...if they can see tartar, they should be cleaned!!

Sarah&Soph likes this.
  4. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

I know I know, I was planning on waiting until at least the recommended 6 months, I’m just a little hesitant to put her under anesthesia so frequently since it was only 4 months ago :nailbiting: Also the only board certified dentist in the state is an hour away, so I would have to take two days off work

5. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Thank you :bighug: And if not, well, it was a good two months lol

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.