How long does Caninsulin/Vetsulin last?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Looby & Smiffy, Oct 6, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Hello,

I use a Caninsulin/Vetsulin pen with cartridge for Smiffy that I keep in its case at room temperature.

I read in the Caninsulin/Vetsulin information pack that the insulin only lasts 28 days in the pen.

Does anybody know if this is in fact true and if not how long can it last in the pen in it's case?

Now that Smiffy is on lower doses, we are wasting a lot of insulin by changing it every 28 days.

Thank you :)

2. Larry and Kitties

Larry and Kitties Well-Known Member

Likely not much longer than about 30 days if not refrigerated.
    The problem with refrigerating the pen is that because of the thermal cycling between room temperature and the fridge you may get inaccurate dosing using the pens dosing mechanism.
    If you start getting higher than expected BGs that would tend to indicate that the insulin is losing effectiveness and should be replaced.

Looby & Smiffy likes this.
  3. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Thanks Larry :)

4. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

I've read that if it is refrigerated in a vial, it can last as long as 3 months. I was questioning this because after a month, we have half a vial left. As far as I know the pens are not available in the US.

5. Tuxedo Mom

Tuxedo Mom Well-Known Member

In order to clarify this discussion for any other people, especially newer members reading this post, here is the official information from the manufacturer:

"Before use, Caninsulin should be stored in a refrigerator and not frozen. It is usually advised that any pharmaceutical product should be disposed of around 1 month after opening. The Caninsulin label stated that the product should be used for 21 days, 28 days or 42 days after first opening, depending on the country. This is based on studies that were carried out looked at Caninsulin use for up to 42 days after first use. Many of the authorities that regulate medicines do not allow product labels that permit the use of sterile products for more than 28 days after first opening."

http://www.caninsulin.ca/faq-answers-p.asp

Although an insulin MAY last longer than the label suggests, people should not ASSUME that they can get 3 months out of it and end up under-treating their kitties, especially if they are not home testing enough to catch it. Many newbies are not testing in the beginning and if they only see the "3 months" time frame for effectiveness, then they could be putting their kitty at risk of high numbers and possibly DKA. Of course home-testing is the answer to that, but we can't be sure everyone WILL do that. Often people pick up one small piece of information and get fixated on that being the "truth". That is why opinions can be quite dangerous in some situations.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2016
  6. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

Thanks for this informatioin - i think it is really important to know this.

I use a Vetpen @Larry and Kitties which I don't refrigerate at all but keep at room temperature in its case and read on the Caninsulin/Vetsulin website that the cartridge would not be effective after 28 days. However, my Vet's surgery didn't seem to be of that opinion so that is why I posed the question. I am going to continue as I have been doing and replacing the cartridge every 28 -30 days.

7. Callie & Patches

Callie & Patches Well-Known Member

Thank you for all that information. I forgot about all the people who don't test. Regardless of what I read, I base all my decisions on the testing results and how Callie acts. It's too bad that there is so much conflicting information out there.

8. Looby & Smiffy

Looby & Smiffy Member

I'm glad I posed the question!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.