? How low is too low? What is the goal?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Harold Kunzli, Sep 19, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

How low is too low? What is the goal?
    We are starting to see low numbers, which I know is the goal but it still has me nervous. I increased dose today from 2.5 to 2.75. He was at 4.5 at +6, he seems perfectly fine but it still made me panic a bit. He ate and tested at 5.1 a half hour later so I assume he will be okay. But I work 5 days a week and am not home for around 10 hours and will not be able to monitor him. Is this safe? Or should I go back down to 2.5? Or somewhere in between?

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet...vuz6SmPkoGbb1JuAwqe9s4a0drY/edit?usp=drivesdk

2. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

The goal is to get them to spend as much time in normal numbers as possible so that the pancreas has the best chance to rest and heal and resume working!

Oh a human meter, normal BG numbers are 50-120. (2.8-6.7)

The problem with SLGS is if you're only doing 1 curve a week, you're not getting a good idea of what's going on with that dose. You're only seeing a snapshot of 1 day. Reductions are taken if they drop below 90 which means since Harold dropped to 4.5, you'd reduce back to 2.5 (which you didn't hold for a full 7 days)

If you're going to do SLGS, go back to the 2.5 and hold it for 7 days unless he drops below 90 (5)

3. Harold Kunzli

Harold Kunzli Member

Thank you! This is very helpful. I will reduce the dose back tonight and continue that till next weekend. Unfortunately I work Monday to Friday (sometimes Saturday) and live and hour away from town. So my availability to do full curves or even monitor him is limited. I don't really understand the other method of dosing and wouldn't know where to begin.

4. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

Try to get extra tests any time you can. We understand that work interferes so you do the best you can! You probably haven't seen this since it's posted in the Lantus forum, but there's some good ideas in the "Is TR possible with a full time job?" thread? (even if you don't use Lantus or don't intend to do TR or MPM)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.