How low should she go? First day on Lantus.

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Chris & Mally, Jan 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Chris & Mally

Chris & Mally Member

I'm sorry for starting a new thread outside of my daily condo, but I'm hoping more people will notice this and give me some advice.

Today is our first day on Lantus. In another thread I explained that my new vet has Mally on 1 unit once a day for the first few days.

We gave Mally her shot at 10:08 AM. Her AMPS at 9:33 AM was 248. She was fed at 9:30 AM and given her shot of 1 unit 10:08 AM. Her +2 was 142. I just did her +4 and she is at 63.

After watching what Nicole & Baby went through the other day, my daughter and I were very careful measuring the dose. I know that Mally only got 1 unit.

What should I expect Mally's numbers to be and is this drop normal?

Thank you all for your help!!!

2. Blue

Blue Well-Known Member

Hi Chris,
    I can't help with your question, but I can suggest that you can keep everything you post in a single thread just by editing your original post's subject line.

If you go to your original thread, then look to the bottom right, you will see an edit button. If you select that button, you can edit your posting.
    Just add or change the words in your Subject: line at the top then save. You can go back into the post and add your concerns anytime you like.

3. Sarah and Buzz

Sarah and Buzz Well-Known Member

Hi Chris! I am new to Lantus myself so I can't really say what the drop should be. However, Mally has gotten a great first reaction, hasn't she? :)

Please know that I am not advising you to lower the dose; I am only relating what happened with me so as to make you aware of the possibilities and save you some potential frustration. The exact same thing happened to me on Buzz's first day of Lantus (Saturday), and I ended up lowering the dose to 0.5u upon advice here. Buzz spent the next 3 days in the 300s, which I was told to expect as her shed fills. This morning I went back to 1u, per Tilly/Rand guidelines, and Buzz has gotten a good drop already. So, the point is to be prepared that after a good first dose reaction, it could take a few days before you see any more action. It was hard for me to wait it out but knew I had to. I was glad that someone had told me about this or else I would have been tempted to raise the dose again as it looked like it was not working.

As far as your immediate situation, I would check her again at +4.5 to see where she is, then feed some food if necessary. Monique told me this morning that Lantus is a gentler insulin so even when they are low, kitties might not act strange, only hungry. Just keep an eye on things and be ready to feed if necessary. You will do great! :)

4. Pat and Skipper (GA)

Pat and Skipper (GA) Member

Update?

Very sorry you didn't get more help this afternoon. Please keep posting and let us know how you are doing.

5. Nicole & Baby

Nicole & Baby Well-Known Member

Thinking of you & it looks like you were thinking of us too.. I wish I had advice.. because I know how scary it can be... :YMHUG:

6. Ronnie & Luna

Ronnie & Luna Well-Known Member

Hello Chris!

Welcome to Lantus Land and congrats on getting nice spotchecks today!
    The more data you collect, the more you'll see how Lantus is working on Mally, so just a bit of patience and before long you'll have a very pretty spreadsheet!

We're glad u made it over to Lantus Land with Mally, read up on the stickies up above - takes a few times to sink in, but you'll get the hang of it!
    cat_pet_icon

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.