How much must kitty eat before insulin?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Timewarpcat, Sep 14, 2022.

1. Timewarpcat

Timewarpcat Member

She's 6 years old, maybe 8 lbs, getting 1.75 units of prozinc, which isn't enough, but did help a lot. She had the Freestyle Libre on for 2 weeks. She went too low on 2 units. We're switching her to levemir in a month.

Trouble is, she gets picky. She doesn't like wet food much, but i have always offered it. She eats some Fancy Feast pate, maybe 2/3 can a day at most, and Young Again zero carb, plus 2 pill pockets per day that do have carbs.

But the past couple days, she just nibbles a bit. Then maybe eats well for the next meal. Then nibbles. So I have had to skip or do reduced doses of prozinc. She is fed at 8 am and 8 pm and the food is out maybe 3 hours each time.

Ok, so if she eats 1/2 can of fancy feast, is that enough? That is not half her daily calories.

I'll call the vet tomorrow.

Thx!!

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  2. Timewarpcat

Timewarpcat Member

I got her to eat a little kibble and then some chicken. But this is difficult. She is a young fit cat and doesn't want to eat at meal time.

Chrispooky12 likes this.
  3. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

She may be nausea & that may be why she's not wanting to eat. Has she ever had pancreatitis? My boy has chronic pancreatitis & he has flare ups occasionally. Some kitty's end up being hospitalized for it but I've been able to treat him at home with either Cerenia or ondansetron for nausea, miritaz for an appetite stimulant & gabepentin for pain. She may just be being picky though. If a cat goes to long without eating they can develop hepatic lipidosis which usually requires a hospital stay & sometimes a feeding tube.I would definitely suggest a vet visit.

A freestyle libre is great but it's always good to know how to home test incase the libre fails.. I will tag a member that can give you links to help you get your signature & spreadsheet set up. @Diane Tyler's Mom

4. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

5. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

In addition to what was mentioned above - it really depends on the BG. Do you have Libre data/screenshots you can share?

Chrispooky12 likes this.