How much should a 20.4 pound cat be eating

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Paula Nowak, Mar 12, 2019.

1. Paula Nowak

Paula Nowak Member

Hi this is Paula Nowak with Elvis The Cat. Elvis weighed in at 20.4 pounds the last time I was at the vet. I suppose it's a possibility he could have lost a couple of ounces since then. At the present time he is eating two and a half cans of Fancy Feast Turkey and Giblets Feast Classic pate. My previous vet said that he should not eat more than three cans of the Fancy Feast but no less than 2 cans because of fatty liver disease. These are the 3 oz cans of Fancy Feast . I'm pretty freaked out about the fatty liver disease because there are times when I can just get him to eat 2 cans of the Fancy Feast, but mostly I will get him to eat more than two cans.

2. Tracey&Jones (GA)

Tracey&Jones (GA) Well-Known Member

What is Elvis' ideal weight?

Ideal weigh in Lbs x 13.5 +70 = calories to eat in a day. So a 20 lbs (if this is his ideal weight) x 13.5 +70 = 340 calories a day. I think most FF pate are around 90 calories per 3 oz can. So that is more like 3.5 to 4 cans cans.

Now just like us humans, some cats need more calories and some less depending on age, activity, metabolism or other medical issues.

Hope that helps.

3. Chris & China (GA)

Chris & China (GA) Well-Known Member

As long as he's eating, the chance of fatty liver is very remote....it usually happens in cats that refuse to eat anything for longer than 24 hours.

4. Bobbie And Bubba

Bobbie And Bubba Well-Known Member

If Elvis is overweight then use his ideal weight in the formula above that Tracey posted.

5. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

I want to see pictures of Elvis the 20# cat! :D

The formula that Tracey posted is what I have also. And as Bobbie stated, adjust up/down if over/under weight.

Gill & George likes this.
  6. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

I had a 20 pound cat once - Little Buddy. Sweet as could be. Since he was so big, he told ME what he wanted, not the other way around.:D

7. Bobbie And Bubba

Y’all should have seen Bubba when he was 23 lbs! He’s a svelte 18 lbs now

8. Paula Nowak

Paula Nowak Member

Attached Files:

9. LizzieInTexas

LizzieInTexas Well-Known Member

:D

Beautiful. Thanks for sharing.

Is he completely black?

10. Paula Nowak

Paula Nowak Member

No, he has a white spot on his belly that looks like a little wispy butterfly. I just love it !

11. Bobbie And Bubba

He looks as chubby as my Bubba did at 23 lbs. :p

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  12. JeffJ

JeffJ Well-Known Member

Elvis is one big handsome boy! Love the pics.:bighug:

LizzieInTexas likes this.
  13. Gill & George

Gill & George Well-Known Member

I remember the picture.
    LOL that's what ended up with George being 20 pounds when a friend looked after him for a few months:eek: he's now a much healthier 16lb, but it takes a lot of will power to not su-come to his big sad Oliver Twist eyes at dinner and snack times, he's the cat that always wants more:rolleyes:

Elvis is a handsome boy, love the pics.

JeffJ and Bobbie And Bubba like this.