How often do you test GC?

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Amanda Comet’s Mom, Oct 16, 2021.

1. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Amanda Comet’s Mom Member

Hey! We’re using the AlphaTrak 2 (we do have the Relion meter as well) and dang strips are pricey. Going on 3 weeks of insulin & week 2 of testing. We’ve blown through our 2nd bottle of strips.

How often do you test and when?
    I was doing AMPS, +3, +6, sometimes +2,+4,+6 and then PMPS, +3, +6

Today I wanted to try to just do AMPS, +3, PMPS, +3

Dangerous this early? Thoughts?

2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Take a look at my spreadsheet before remission :confused: Can be a lot of testing depending on what you're looking to achieve.

Most of us do a +2 or +3 each cycle to see if there's a drop; if there is, it's usually going to be an active cycle requiring more testing. That said, it's not always a good predictor for every cat; it wasn't always for mine. He could have been flat or little higher at +2/+3, then still dive later on.

Comet seems to have a relatively early nadir (+3 to +5), so I think you're doing pretty well. Most cats I've seen on pred don't have these nice smooth cycles and can be unpredictable, but that doesn't seem to be the case for you!

I'd suggest getting a few late tests in when you can, +8 to +11, just to round out the data. I would do the PS, +3, and then 1 later test +5 maybe? just to be safe.

Honestly I'd just switch to the ReliOn, it's so much cheaper to use.

Have you picked a dosing method?

3. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Hard thing is from +6 to +11 he is home by himself. Me and my partner both work later. So he gets checked at +12 again. I just did a +5.5 and he’s up way higher then AMPS. So even if he comes down it shouldn’t be a hypo. Hopefully! I think I’m going to do the SLGS. So in a day or two up his insulin to 1.5u. He is on day 5/6 of 1.25u

I plan on switching to Relion in a week when I’m home with a few days off!

4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

For a newly diagnosed kitty, you're doing a great job with his numbers!

The bare minimum number of tests is four -- your AM and PM pre-shot tests and at least one test during each cycle. Lantus dosing is based on the lowest number in the cycle so you want to try to catch the lows.

Are you adding water to Comet's food? Extra water will help with the CKD. What is your cat taking the gabapentin for?

Last edited: Oct 16, 2021
  5. Amanda Comet’s Mom

He has a continuous fountain he drinks from but he also is only getting wet food. And the Gabapentin is for his arthritis and pain in his hips.

6. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I feed my cats wet food and they have a fountain, as well. They're not so good about drinking from the fountain. Some water in their food is extra insurance that they are well hydrated as long as they'll eat "soupier" food.

Adequan is likely a better choice for arthritis than gabapentin. Gabapentin is used for nerve pain. Arthritis is a degenerative joint condition that causes the cartilage in the joint to be worn away. (I had hip replacement surgery for my osteoarthritis!) You can also give your cat Cosequin which is an over the counter combination of glucosamine and chondroitin -- but Adequan is better.

7. Amanda Comet’s Mom

Thank you! I’ll have to ask the vet about Adequan.

I try sometimes to put water in his food but then he barely eats the food. He seriously hangs out at the water dish for like 15 mins some days. I was going to ask the vet if she thinks it’s time for sub q’s as he urinates 5-7x a day

not sure if that’s a mix of diabetes, CKD and pred or what

8. Katherine&Ruby

Katherine&Ruby Well-Known Member

Pred can make a cat very thirsty and hence the constant urination. Ruby's pee has gotten pretty odorous, too, since she started taking pred. I put lots of water in her food so she doesn't need to drink any from her water bowl. I'm not sure what IRIS Stage Comet is in regarding his CKD but if he's stage 2 or above then he could probably profit from subQ.