I could use suggestions on how to change insulin dosage

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lettie, Feb 14, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lettie

Lettie Member

Bubbles has now been eating just fancy feast pate classic for a couple days. Should I change his dosage now or wait longer? We have decided to do the modified control not the tr. Thanks for any ideas.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  2. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

I see you got the curve a few days ago, great!

We really need to see the mid cycle data - ProZinc dosing is based on the nadir, or how low the dose takes the cat. This is often between +4 and +7 and can change from day to day.

I can't recommend a dose change without seeing a few cycles that have +4 to +7 numbers. Because although preshots are high, she might still be dipping into the 100s and I'd have no idea. And that would be a different dose change than if she's staying high and flat. Having the curve helps, but she was still eating some high carb then so I can't go solely off that data.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  3. Lettie

Lettie Member

I won't be able to do that until Wednesday and Thursday. Those are my days off so I can do it then. I work weekends and my schedule makes it impossible to do it before then.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  4. FrostD

FrostD Well-Known Member

Can you set an alarm to do it during the night?

If not no problem, but then you'll actually be doing Start Low Go Slow. The additional testing in the Modified Method is really what allows you to do dose changes more quickly.

With SLGS you'd hold the dose for 1 week, in this case 1 week from the day she was officially completely low carb. Then you'd do a curve; the dose change would be based on the curve data. You can certainly schedule it so the "curve day" ends up on a day off work. But as always, any extra data points you can get on any given day are helpful.

Deb & Wink likes this.
  5. Lettie

Lettie Member

That sounds great! My son and I do the testing together and he gets up during the night to fill our woodstove (it's very cold here and we have to keep the cats warm!) I never thought of doing it during the night, thank you! For sure Thursday we can do the curve.
    You are so much help thank you much!

Deb & Wink, Critter Mom and FrostD like this.
  6. Lettie

Lettie Member

Bubbles did another curve on his spreadsheet today. He is doing great and put up with the pokes all day again. I know his insulin dose needs to be changed. Could use help with that!

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  7. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Hi Lettie,

Nice job with the curve. I'm glad that Bubbles is doing OK with the testing. :cat:

I'm tagging @Deb & Wink to ask her to give you some help with dosing. I've not used Prozinc, so I'm of no help whatsoever on that side of things. :oops:

Mogs

Lettie and Deb & Wink like this.
  8. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Hi Lettie, Please check out the Sticky posts in the Prozinc ISG group. The one on the dosing protocols we use would be especially helpful for you to review.
    SLGS looks like what you have been using. TR is only for lantus or levemir. Prozinc does have the MPM method.

Has Bubbles always been on the 1U? Or has that dose changed since he was diagnosed.

I suppose it's possible that you did those curves on days when Bubbles was bouncing from some untested lows. But I don't think so.
    I'd suggest increasing the dose by 0.25U. So up the insulin to 1.25U.

More test data is always welcome!:)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2021
    Reason for edit: fixed wording on dose increase
    Lettie and Critter Mom like this.
  9. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Last edited: Feb 19, 2021
    Reason for edit: Typo.
    Deb & Wink likes this.
  10. Lettie

Lettie Member

Thank you! Bubbles has always been on this dose since he was diagnosed. I wanted to change him over to ff classic pates so waited to see his numbers after that. We'll up his dose at your suggested amount. I've been reading so much on here and thought maybe that would be the dose. I can't thank you enough for your help!
    Lettie

Deb & Wink and Critter Mom like this.
  11. Lettie

Lettie Member

Forgot to ask. Where do you get the strips for testing for ketones? My vet told us not to worry about that. We don't need them since Bubbles didn't have ketones when diagnosed. From what I am reading here I want to have them on hand.

Critter Mom and Deb & Wink like this.
  12. Deb & Wink

Deb & Wink Well-Known Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.