I need to test before every shot don't I?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Lettie, Feb 25, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lettie

Lettie Member

I emailed Bubbles vet his last curve and had to pay for a "Phone visit" to talk about it. She wants me to increase prozinc insulin to 1.5 units two times a day. He is now eating FF classic pate which she now says is good and I only knew to feed him that because of this group. Also she only wanted me to feed him two cans a day (i learned to feed him more and am so thankful. He was starving) but now feeding him four cans throughout the day is ok. I told her he is acting like he feels better as he is his old self (he bats my hand away when I try to poke his ear like he is playing) he stays outside longer with my son and when I give him his insulin shot he spits at me! So good to have him feeling better. The vet did tell me to only do his blood tests every other day so he doesn't get mad at having his ear poked. That seems so wrong from what I've learned on this forum? We are supposed to do another curve but she isn't going to charge for that one, just the one after. I have learned so much on this forum I can't thank you enough. It is so beneficial to keep learning and to have someplace to go to ask questions.

Critter Mom likes this.
  2. Nan & Amber (GA)

Nan & Amber (GA) Well-Known Member

Hello---

Hmmm, well, it sounds like your vet is open to having you direct Bubbles' treatment somewhat so that is good!

To answer your question, yes, you should be testing at least before each shot to make sure it is safe to shoot. I think sometimes vets are reluctant to recommend much testing because they are afraid that caregivers will become discouraged and give up on the cat entirely (it happens a lot, sadly).

Does he get a yummy treat (or brushing or a play session or something else that he really likes) as a reward after every poke? Pretty soon, most cats will associate the poking with treats and willingly sit still for the pokes.

If he's becoming more grumpy about the testing, it's possible his ear is a little sore. You can help prevent this by applying a little gentle pressure after the poke (prevents bruising/soreness) and a little dab of antibiotic ointment to help speed the healing.

Isn't it great when they start telling us they're feeling better? :cat:

Critter Mom and Lettie like this.
  3. Lettie

Lettie Member

He jumps up on the bench we do his test on. He loves his treat after. His test really isn't a problem. He was funny this morning when he was batting my hand away!

4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

Glad to read that Bubbles is starting to feel better in himself. :cat:

Mogs

Shelley & Jess and Lettie like this.
  5. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Here's the rationale I use for testing (and I got snarky with a vet who told me to not test). I asked the vet if she would follow her own advice if this were her infant instead of a cat. Would she be comfortable not testing her baby before giving a shot of insulin which could potentially cause a life threatening hypoglycemic response. The vet started blushing and, obviously, said no. I don't know of a single MD who treats diabetes who would tell a human to not test before a shot or who would not encourage someone to get glucose readings throughout the day especially if they felt "off." Our kitties don't always communicate that their numbers are low. Testing is the only way to keep your cat safe. If you don't want to give your vet a hard time, smile and nod and go home and do what you need to do to keep Bubbles safe.

6. Lettie

Lettie Member

I love this! When my son was 7 he was diagnosed with diabetes. We did the same then..blood test, then shot. He's in his 40's now and still does the same. I have come to rely on that blood test. How else do we know what's going on with them? Thank you

Shelley & Jess and Critter Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.