IBD suitable foods?

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Katie & Marcy, Sep 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Katie & Marcy

Katie & Marcy Member

What are some options for IBD and diabetic suitable cat foods? Right now I’m trying to switch the novel protein away from poultry. Also would prefer options that are paté because she won’t eat chunks.

2. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

Two brands that I’ve found are Instinct and Ziwipeak. My cat eats Instinct original rabbit (according to the food chart, the limited ingredient rabbit is medium carb).

3. Katie & Marcy

Katie & Marcy Member

Yeah that’s the issue I’m finding, is that a lot of the different protein ones have a medium carb content and I’m having trouble finding anything that I can feed her.

4. Sarah&Soph

Sarah&Soph Member

All the Instinct originals are low carb :cat: They have rabbit, venison, salmon, and also duck if you’re not ruling out all poultry. They also have lamb, but it includes turkey. Ziwipeak has multiple options as well

5. Katie & Marcy

Katie & Marcy Member

Alright, I’ll check them out again, thanks! I must have misread the carb content, I’ll check a couple different sources

6. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Some other brands with novel proteins are Rawz (rabbit and duck) and Hounds N Gatos (duck, rabbit, lamb pork), and Identity (duck, lamb, pork, rabbit, quail). Personally I like feeding raw, it gives you so much more protein options.

7. Katie & Marcy

Katie & Marcy Member

Thank you for giving me more options, I’m trying to compile a list so I can take it to the healthy pet food store and pick up a few cans of whatever. She’s had chicken and duck, both are no go’s, however I think beef would be novel to her as I’ve never really fed it to her, which might open a lot more options. I’d be interested in learning more about raw feeding, it feels like it would be a lot more effort, but then I thought the same thing of feeding wet food and it really wasn’t. Do you have any links for beginners, just trying to see if that’s something I could do.

8. Wendy&Neko

My IBD kitty can oddly enough do turkey, but not chicken, beef, venison, or fish. It really does mean some experimenting. And trying to find just small cans and 1 at a time for a new protein.

A couple links for raw feeding: https://www.ibdkitties.net/ check out the section on food, and https://www.rawfeedingforibdcats.org/

If you use a premix, making your own raw food is very easy. You can always start by trying premanufactured raw to see if they go for it. Depending on the protein, I found home made raw comparable in price to canned.

9. Katie & Marcy

Katie & Marcy Member

That’s interesting that Turkey doesn’t bother your cat, if chicken does. Also how long do you typically trial the new food before you know if it’s working? We’re new to the probable ibd diagnosis as well.

10. Wendy&Neko

The links I included talk more about food trials, but it can take a few weeks to know if something is going to work. Sometimes you know right away when it doesn't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.