? I'm Baaack... New Diagnosis

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by CatMamaG, Jan 7, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Hi all,

(For anyone who remembers me), I kind of disappeared after my sweet old man Tyler got very sick in Sept of 2021 and ultimately crossed the Rainbow Bridge. I was not able to post about it. Heartbreaking, as it is, to lose a sugar baby. He died peacefully in my arms.

Now, my 11 year old Tiger has been diagnosed with diabetes and I am back and trying to knock the rust off of my diabetes management skills.

I am thankful for all who are still here and all who are new.

DD & Smokey & Sissy likes this.
  2. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

I remember. This is the worst place to welcome someone back to.
    Sorry about Tyler :bighug:

3. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Aw, thanks! He was the sweetest "grumpy old man" cat. And, of all my cats to get diabetes, Tiger's name sounds so similar I am now randomly saying I am doing Tyler's insulin, instead of Tiger's. And, I remember you, too!

Noah & me (GA) likes this.
  4. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

Please let us know how we can help.

CatMamaG likes this.
  5. Noah & me (GA)

Noah & me (GA) Well-Known Member

Did you keep your diabetic cat voodoo kit? When Nigel died none of our cats were obese and I figured the seniors would have developed diabetes by now so the syringes were donated but I kept the meter. Noah was Nigel's brother and a very nervous cat. He had to be swaddled in towels and piddle pads for his trips to the vet. One trip he peed on the exam table and my vet leaned over and was sure she saw something crystalline in the pee. Five minutes later and we had our second sugar cat.
    At least this time there was no "Dear God why me?" or pulling my hair out. Just got new batteries for the meter and some strips. A year later I joined here.
    I still have Nigel's original notebook, his spreadsheets were done in Excel and the teeth that got pulled in a high risk dental surgery.
    Our meter has quite a large memory so like looking at old photos I could scroll back to Nigel's last day. One day after testing Noah I realized the new numbers were overwriting the old ones. That was like tossing a scrapbook into the fire for me.
    I wonder what strips cost now. In the last few years I've seen $10 broccoli for the bunnies we feed and insane prices for the nuts we feed raccoons. Thankfully we never had or will pay that wanker Musk $8/month to be a Twitter "verified user". Stick to rockets, cars and bulletproof pickup trucks Elon. He supposedly has a cat but I doubt it's zero emissions. That would be a neat trick. :rolleyes:

6. CatMamaG

CatMamaG Member

Sorry for the delayed response; I need to check my notifications better! Mostly back in the swing of things; fortunately, I have multiple rescue kitties (& 2 rescue dogs), so I kept everything "just in case". Had to dust it all off after I pulled it out of the closet, but everything was still in working order. I am low on test strips, and have determined that ADW no longer sells any of the Arkray kind that fit my old (Walmart) Relion Prime meter. Looking at a couple on their site that arkray sells. I will look around this site and see if there are any meter recommendations, too.

It's bringing back so many memories of Tyler, and my new sugar baby is Tiger, so I keep accidentally saying I need to check TYLER'S blood sugar. Sweet, grumpy old guy, he was, and the new sugar baby is younger but also grumpy. Love them both.

Sienne and Gabby (GA) likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.