I'm done poking

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by Hammy, Feb 9, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Hammy

Hammy Member

I can't do this anymore. I cannot consistently test BG. He's growling, I'm poking multiple times, blood getting all over my fingers instead of the damn strip.

I'm done.

2. Hammy

Hammy Member

I'm sorry for my tantrum.

Critter Mom likes this.
  3. Judy and Freckles

Judy and Freckles Well-Known Member

arghhh.. I was done typing my post and then my computer lost power, so here goes again!

No need to apologize Heather. We've all been there.

When Freckles was first diagnosed, it took the vet and 3 techs to try and get a blood test via ear. They weren't successful, but got scratched and Freckles was stressed to the max. She thought they were trying to kill her I'm sure. The vet ended up sedating her. I thought "How in the #$%^# am I going to be able to do this by myself??" My vet assured me that I only needed to test once/month. I'm sure glad I found this forum shortly after diagnosis because I learned real quick what could happen. Anyways, I started associating the 'ordeal' with something pleasant - food! Freckles is very food oriented. I made the bathroom as the testing room/injection room. Started feeding her in there and giving treats without any pricks or needles. She learned very quickly that the bathroom was THE place to be. Then I started giving her a treat when I held her ear - I did this over and over again. Then I interspersed just holding her ear several times and snuck a prick in amongst them. Now it's no big deal at all. She runs to the bathroom and jumps on the counter. I had to get over my own nervousness too. At first I had to do 2 pricks sided by side n order to get enough blood but her ears 'learned' to bleed. There are other tricks like warming the ear, massaging etc. I started out with using Alphatrak but soon found the strips to be far too expensive so switched to Freestyle Lite. Different glucometers require different blood droplet size and I found Freestyle to be one of the smallest amounts required.

To avoid having to hold Freckles's ear any longer than necessary, I 'scoop' up the blood droplet on the back of my thumbnail or a credit card and then I can release her ear and let her continue eating (I give her a crumbled up freeze dried chicken piece). This way, I have the blood droplet safe and sound on the back of my thumb nail and she can do whatever she wants.

Shelley & Jess, Hammy and Critter Mom like this.
  4. Critter Mom

Critter Mom Well-Known Member

(((Heather)))

:bighug:

Mogs

Hammy likes this.
  5. Hammy

Hammy Member

Thank you both. I was feeling more confident, getting the testing done right as he started eating, but now he is pulling away and shaking his ear. I can sneak a test in later in the day when he is just laying down without it being a big deal. I'm just worried I won't get a pre test in and something bad will happen.

Judy and Freckles likes this.
  6. Critter Mom

You get up days and down days on this diabetes roller coaster, Heather. It does get better. :)

I saw this clip last night and thought I'd share it with you to see whether it might give you a bit of a mood boost:

Mogs

Hammy likes this.
  7. Hammy

Hammy Member

That is pretty great! ha ha ! Thank you!

Critter Mom likes this.
  8. Critter Mom

Gets better with repeated viewing. :D

Glad it gave you a bit of a chuckle. (((Heather)))

Mogs

Hammy likes this.
  9. Mischa & Peri

Mischa & Peri New Member

This was me yesterday!:banghead: You’re not alone in the steep learning curve that is home testing. I don’t get a successful poke every time right now, only started home testing this weekend... To reduce the stress for both of us, I try 1-2 pokes and then let it go, give her treats, and try again later. We will eventually be pros at it!!! :bighug:

Hammy and Critter Mom like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.