Increase dosage without Vet Advice?

Discussion in 'Acromegaly / IAA / Cushings Cats' started by NeilS, Sep 2, 2021.

1. NeilS

NeilS New Member

Hi everyone

I've copied my post from the Caninsulin forum where I replied to Wendy and Neko.

She was taken to the vet and it does seem she has acro, not sure if the vet knows about the condition, but from what I've read on the forums the symptoms matches up.

Is it true cats can be insulin resistance if the dose is left the same for a long period? Would you recommend I increase the insulin without vet advice? She's been on 6 units for 2 months.

Thanks for the advice on Felix and food charts, what UK food would you recommend? The charts have so many I don't know where to start!

I also bought the GlucoNavi monitor to test her bloods.

Neil

2. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

Here is the link to the Vetsulin post, in case people want to read it.

For food, you want something under 10% carbs. As I'm not in the UK, I don't know which ones to recommend for you.

Good for you on getting the blood glucose meter. Once you can start getting data and possibly setting up a spreadsheet to record it, we can help you with deciding what to do on the dose. We won't be able to help if we can't see data to help with the decision. Information on the spreadsheet is here:
    And yes, it is true that if cats are left on a dose too long that keeps them in high numbers, they can develop a condition called glucose toxicity, which is a form of insulin resistance. Again, more reading: Glucose toxicity: What is it & what should I do about it? Basically it means the cat's body gets used to high numbers and you need to increase more to get over it. Even smaller dose cats can develop glucose toxicity.

And one more thing, Vetsulin/Caninsulin is not a good insulin for cats. Maybe your vet can take the acro information as a reason to switch to a longer lasting insulin like Prozinc, Levemir would be even better.

3. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

Hi there. I didn't want to reply until I waited for Wendy to do so. I hope you can get things set up (a testing routine and a spreadsheet recording the numbers so that your dosages can be adjusted appropriately.) I will only add that I am not a fan of Vetsulin for cats. It's a pretty good insulin for dogs (hence the name Caninsulin) but in cats, it doesn't last very long so it drives the blood glucose down and then wears off quickly and leaves them in high numbers for a major portion of the day and night. Best wishes!

4. Wendy&Neko

Wendy&Neko Senior Member Moderator

My girl was on Caninsulin first, I definitely recommend trying to find a way to get on a longer lasting insulin.

If your vet has questions, they should contact the Feline Diabetes Remission Clinic at the Royal Vet Clinic. They are tops in the world with knowledge and treatment on acromegaly.

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Me too. We started with Vetsulin. I think my vet was just trying to save me money as it was the least expensive option.

6. NeilS

NeilS New Member

We changed her diet and she has been taking a vitamin recommended on here.

I can't thank you enough for your advice, she was so unwell and the vet advised she was end of life stage.

We have been avoiding the Felix and biscuits and giving her naturally processed food like Nature's menu.

Amber has more energy, and her breathing and walking has improved considerably. For the first time she seems stable.

Thanks

7. Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA

Phoebe_TiggyGA_NortonGA Well-Known Member

8. Suzanne & Darcy

I cannot see your kitty’s spreadsheet, but I am very glad to hear that she’s doing better. I have an Amber too!