GA Insulin change

Discussion in 'Feline Health - (Welcome & Main Forum)' started by lozza12, Jan 19, 2023.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lozza12

lozza12 Member

Hi, I'm going to the vets tomorrow to ask about changing Diamaris insulin. At the moment he is on 3 units of caninsulin. He recently has not been eating a lot at breakfast and dinner, and advice from vet has been to reduce his dose. I have looked up caninsulin and see that it's a hard n fast insulin, meaning he has to have food before each shot. But he's a grazer, and eats tiny amounts little and often. With this in mind should I be asking to have it changed to Prozinc or Lantus. If so, does that mean he can continue to eat little n often, and I don't need to worry about trying to get him to eat a big breakfast n dinner before a shot?

2. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Bron and Sheba (GA) Well-Known Member

I can’t see any data in your SS. Have you started home testing yet?
    Caninsulin is not a suitable insulin for cats. Lantus or ProZinc is a better insulin and is recommended by the American Animal Hospital Association. I would ask to swap to that.
    If you kitty has not been eating well, is it possible he is nauseated? He may need some anti nausea tablets from the vet such as Ondansetron or cerenia.
    The onset of lantus and ProZinc is around 2 hours so you have more time to get food aboard than you do for Caninsulin. You do still need to make sure he eats enough during each day though.

3. lozza12

lozza12 Member

Hi
    No I haven't started HT yet as we go away on holiday for a week tomorrow, and only just got our Gluco meter. When u say onset of prozinc is around 2 hours so more scope for getting food on board, wot does that mean?

4. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Who is going to be looking after your kitty while you are away on holiday? I am concerned you are giving so much insulin to a kitty that is not eating well and you are going away and someone else will be looking after him.
    Will he eat for them? Who is going to feed him during the day and night?
    How will they know it is safe to give the dose of insulin?
    3 units is a lot of any type of insulin to be giving a kitty who was only diagnosed 5 weeks ago. I would be reducing the dose as the vet advised. How much are you giving now.?
    It would not be safe to not give any insulin while you are away…

It means that both lantus and ProZinc don’t start to work until about 2 hours after it is given, so you have longer to get some food into your kitty before the insulin starts to drop the blood glucose.

5. lozza12

lozza12 Member

Hi, I have been giving half doses for the past 2 days. My friend is staying in my house while I'm away. DIAMARIS loves my friend, and will eat for her. She is diabetic herself and has a good knowledge of this. She is fine to dose, and knows wot to do in terms of not eating, wen to give half dose, hypo etc

6. lozza12

lozza12 Member

I never mentioned not giving insulin while I was away??

7. Bron and Sheba (GA)

That’s good.
    I know you didn’t mention it. I was just concerned you might have thought it was ok to leave it for a time……some people do think that.

8. lozza12

lozza12 Member

Oh lol OK. No I widnt think to ever do that. Thanks xx

Bron and Sheba (GA) likes this.
  9. lozza12

lozza12 Member

We have an appt at 9am with the vet this morning as Diamaris didn't eat anything this morning. So stressed now as we go away tomorrow

10. Bron and Sheba (GA)

I would ask for an injection of cerenia and then some oral tablets that your friend can give at home. Either some more cerenia or some Ondansetron which are actually better for nausea than Cerenia. . Ondansetron can be given three times a day. Your vet may not have them but if he writes a script you can pick them up from a pharmacy as they are actually human tablets but fine to give cats. I used Ondansetron for my Sheba. If all else fails let her eat the food she will eat (what she used to eat) while you are away but get your friend to test for ketones…this is very important.
    Please let us know how you get on at the vet….we worry.

11. Chrispooky12

Chrispooky12 Well-Known Member

If you do get a prescription for Ondansetron be sure to shop around & use the goodrx coupon. I had one pharmacy CVS that the cost was $598 before goodrx $98 after the goodrx for 30 4mg pills. I found them at Meijer (don't know if you have one where you live) for $12 $6 with the goodrx coupon. Bron is correct Ondansetron is better for nausea but I would also get the injection of cerenia & maybe even cerenia to take home with you as it is for puking & inflammation. My boy has chronic pancreatitis so I always have meds at home for when he has a flare up.

12. lozza12

lozza12 Member

Hi daimaris didn't eat anything at all from yesterday evening, not drinking either. Went to vet, she said he was dehydrated, kept him in vets to run some blood tests, as hus kidneys levels wer a bit levated last visit. Fone call from vets 30 mind ago. Can't remember the exact names but the levels for kidney disease are high, probably stage 2/3. He hasn't ate, not passed water, not drinking. They have him on fluids, given appetite suppressant, bloods are sitting at just under 500. We have to go at 5pm to discuss wot happens next. We go away tomorrow on holiday I think they are thinking PTS by the way they wer speaking and telling me they wer really concerned about him. I don't know if he's ready to go or not

13. Erin Ethan

Erin Ethan Member

Hi @lozza12- not an expert but I think I have seen some other cats on here with stage 2/3 kidney disease. I think @Bandit's Mom might be one?

From what I understand I don't think it has to be the end of the line...but hopefully owners with experience can weigh in.

14. Bron and Sheba (GA)

If he was dehydrated his kidney values would look worse. They should look better once he is better hydrated.
    I think it is pretty drastic to be talking PTS without seeing if a few things work.
    You said he was fine until he started the insulin.
    I think the vets ought to be trying to help
    Him first without resorting to PTS so early in this journey :bighug:

lots of cats do well for years with stage 2/3 kidney disease. However I suspect the kidney values will improve when his hydration improves.

15. lozza12

lozza12 Member

Hi
    Diamaris passed away in our arms tonight took a turn for the worse in the vets, and they called us straight away. I'm devastated xx

16. Bron and Sheba (GA)

Oh I am so sorry. I know how devastated you must be. :bighug:
    Fly free Diamaris :rb_icon:cat_wings>o

17. Diane Tyler's Mom

Diane Tyler's Mom Well-Known Member

I'm so very sorry to hear Diamaris has passed.
    Fly high sweet boy you will be missed :bighug::bighug::rb_icon:
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 20, 2023
  18. Sienne and Gabby (GA)

Sienne and Gabby (GA) Senior Member Moderator

I'm so sorry for your loss.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.