Insulin Conversions: U-40 and U-100 / Question

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Michelle & Prudence, Mar 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michelle & Prudence

Michelle & Prudence Member

Has anyone used the Insulin Conversions using U-40 insulin with U-100 syringes? Seems pretty easy, but just want to make sure I am doing this right. If I want 0.4 using U40 insulin - I need to draw 1.0 if I am using the U-100 syringe... is that correct :?:

[​IMG]

2. Ele & Blackie (GA)

Ele & Blackie (GA) Well-Known Member

Yes, that's correct. Many of us use the U100 syringes and convert. When we report the dose though, we are still reporting the U-40 dose. So if you shot .4 (1.0 in U100), you would still stay you shot .4. I keep a copy of the conversion chart with my log and refer to it every time we shoot. I get my syringes from Walmart, but others get them from Hocks. This will really help you to refine Prudence's dose without the guess work.

3. Donna & Buddha

Donna & Buddha Member

I remember the first shot with the U100 syringe. I was pretty confident up to the point immediately following pushing the plunger and shooting the insulin. Then I had a panic attack that I'd done it wrong and way overdosed.

But everything was fine.

The next hurdle will probably be explaining it to your vet ...

4. Michelle & Prudence

Thanks gals!! DH bought them at Walgreens $16. I will check my Walmart :smile: Too funny, Donna. I've had a few of those moments myself :lol:

I am going to try every 8 hours with Prudence. Not sure how to adjust the spreadsheet for that, but I may even be able to go back to 12/12. Just taking it one day at a time. I am so lucky that I work from home!!!!

Have a great day!

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

i just did the switch too michele and had the same feelings...i think i'm getting more comfortable with it but i keep a pair of reading glasses right nest to the syringes! the lines are sooooo small and tight.

6. Hope and Aria

Hope and Aria Member

I got great advice over on Health from Larry which syringes to get:

3/10 cc U100 syringes with 1/2 unit markings

I bought U100 syringes and they go up by 2's. Not good for me who really needs to see the 1/2's. My second order (also a misorder, thought I had the right ones) go up by 1 u at a time, but WAY easier to see with the 3/10cc. Next order I'll get the 1/2 unit markings.

Learn from my mistakes! I have a plethora of syringes in my house now.

7. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Wow Michelle, great #s from the TID!!!! You might want to set a no shoot # (with PZI we usually say 150), and not give insulin below that. Especially with TID, the overlap can really build up and give you more of a drop than you expect at some point when it really kicks in. Looks like you are doing great so far though, looks like it's just what Prudence needed!!! That's the beauty IMO of PZI - when you can manage it, if you can really keep those #s down you can see a lot of quick progress, and the flexibility of when you can shoot lets you do that.

(sorry if you have already worked out a different no-shoot in your other threads - I'm not 100% clear that I know when in your SS you are shooting, so just wanted to be sure you aren't shooting TID when you are all in green #s....)

8. Michelle & Prudence

Hi Joanna, I spoke with Steve about going every 8 hours since Prudence seems to raise just after +8. When I wait the full 12 hours.. she's back in the 300's. I will have to really keep my eye on this because of the overlap. I found on Elizabeth Hodgkins site this info too. The part about test every 6 -8 hours, with doses of insulin given according to the reading at each test - has me needing to shoot before I hit my 12th hour.

http://www.yourdiabeticcat.com/protocol.html[/color]

I have not figured out how I am going to use the SS for every 8 hours. On another note, with the way her numbers were this past PS at 124... depending on how Prudence does on the next one.. I may just be able to go back to every 12 hours? I just don't know yet. I have not updated the spreadsheet yet either. I am at a PS 150, so I will see how that goes. I am liking the numbers, but stressed out at the same time nailbite_smile haha I have been glued to her side for a few days now, but I don't want to get obsessed with it either... does that make sense.

I haven't really had a chance to see how others are doing. How are you and Bix doing?

9. Joanna & Bix (GA)

Joanna & Bix (GA) Well-Known Member

Yeah, shooting more often can be super-stressful, but it also can give great results like you are seeing. Sometimes people do it for a few days and then go back to 12/12 when the stress gets to them (or scheduling conflicts). I don't know how many people shoot like that longer term - I know I wouldn't be able to manage it! In theory it can help you get better duration as they adjust to the insulin and their livers settle down (if that is a factor).

If you are lucky her #s (like you said with that low PS) will dictate you going back to 12/12, or reducing her dose further while shooting more often - either way is good progress, and keeping her in nice #s like you are promotes healing. IMO it's worth it for anyone to try something like that (as long as they want to, no pressure for anyone to do something like this, or continue with it once started!) if they are up to the challenge and understand the risks.

For the SS, you are welcome to copy my format if that helps (I switched because I often didn't shoot at +12 and it was just too confusing for people to follow). You can just make a new tab on the one you have, and fill in the days you aren't shooting 12/12 on that tab, or whatever. For a while I adapted the 12/12 SS and changed the column headings to make it 8/8/8 instead, but it was still confusing if I didn't stick right to +8.

10. Michelle & Prudence

Lori, I know! I've been holding it up to the window or at my computer screen, haha

That's awesome Hope! I will look for those tomorrow. Thanks for letting us know :smile:

Joanna, Yeah... I'm a bit stressed out. I am thankful that I am in a situation right now where I can invest the time. I just feel like I am so close.. ya know? I will check out using your SS. Thank you.
    Right now - I am kind of on eggshells for the next few hours. I keep finding myself locked into nothing. Took a hot shower and I am ready to roll :coffee:

See you all in the morning :smile:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.