Insulin & steroids

Discussion in 'Caninsulin / Vetsulin and N / NPH' started by Taylor & jelani, May 23, 2024.

1. Taylor & jelani

Taylor & jelani New Member

Hello all, my girl was diagnosed with diabetes around two years ago. She did go into remission a year later, in October we had a major scare and she had to get a blood transfusion & we found out she has a autoimmune disease. She’s been on steroids since October & unfortunately her diabetes have come back so she’s also taking insulin. She’s taking 2.5 mg of prednisolone once a day & 3 units of insulin twice a day. I know these are not a good mix to have on long term. Our vet recently wanted us to try a new medication cyclosporine. She absolutely refuses to take this medication. We were about to give it to her one time and she had a very upset stomach and was having diarrhea multiple times the next day. Has anyone else’s kitty had to be on steroids & insulin long term? She goes biweekly for bloodwork and seems to be doing as good as she can be. Has anyone else tried putting their kitty on cyclosporine & been successful? I’m not really sure what to do here.

2. Red & Rover (GA)

Red & Rover (GA) Well-Known Member

@Taylor & jelani
    Welcome. I'm sorry no one has responded to you post.
    I know very little about steroids. If you post in the Health Forum, more eyes will see it.