Is Gizmo ready for OTJ?

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by WYMoreta, Aug 25, 2021.

1. WYMoreta

WYMoreta Member

Hi All,

Gizmo started having some really good numbers at the beginning of August. Then we went on vacation (8/7) and the numbers went really low (157 being the highest, but lots of low 100's and 70-90). Because I knew my pet sitter would be unavailable during the day to retest I had set my dosing instructions for a lower (safer) level for the pet sitter. Turns out Gizmo only got one shot while I was away. Because she wasn't eating well (at least according to the pet sitter... I'm beginning to think that Gizmo snuck back and finished her food at a later time, but I've got 5 cats so it's impossible to tell for certain). The rest of the time she was OTJ. We got back on 8/22, and I still haven't given her any insulin. Because I didn't understand why the numbers were going low, and I thought she wasn't eating, the sitter took her to my new vet (the old one retired just a week before I left on vacation), and she had a fructosamine test which came back at 384 on 8/13. I have 2 questions:

1) I've heard of stress causing glucose to go high, but can a cats glucose also go low when stressed?
    2) I've seen a lot of stories about cat's going OTJ, but I haven't managed to find a link to a discussion that would help me determine whether or not she should be OTJ.

Here's a link to previous thread (although probably not terribly useful for this discussion) :
    How low can you <safely> dose a Gizmo?

2. Hshray

Hshray Well-Known Member

Hi there! The Prozinc forum is really lightly trafficked sometime, but I would definitely recommend posting this on the main health forum…I’m sure you’ll get some food input there!