? Ivy 5/29, Dropping Fast, AmPS coming Soon 198 bg Now, Help to handle AMPS, 299 +1, 306 +2, 343+3

Discussion in 'Lantus / Levemir / Biosimilars' started by Staci & Ivy, May 29, 2023.

1. Staci & Ivy

Staci & Ivy Well-Known Member

https://www.felinediabetes.com/FDMB...-1-5-93-2-5-91-3-153-3-5.278028/#post-3075366
    Ivy had a bounce break we believe last night (see previous post link above) where she went down into the low 90s within the first two hours of her cycle. She was extremely hungry at her meal last night, unusual behavior.*
    She broke her leg 2 days ago and had a very low drop on the way to the hospital to the 40s on the Libre.
    She’s on 3.5 units Lantus. (The readings were on her Libre.)
    It took a few hours last night and we were able to bring her back up with several doses of medium carb and a drop of Karo and then her regular LC food. She remained in the mid 200s overnight, but is now dropping steadily.

**I am due to feed and inject her next dose, in just 1 hour. (Edited)

If she drops again at AMPS For the next dose, do I shoot regular dose seeing that she is having a late Nadir again at the very end of her cycle?
    If so will she do another very low dip if I give her the full dose? It was a bit rough pulling her back up for several hours.
    Seems like this is her pattern, a very late nadir.
    It’s looking like a bounce break again, how do I handle this?
    She’s dropped to 208 since +10 this am, just 20 minutes ago.
    Now at 198 at +11 / updated. Still dropping.
    Thank you.
    @Bron and Sheba (GA) @Bandit's Mom @Wendy&Neko @Diane Tyler's Mom

Last edited: May 29, 2023
  2. Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Ivy broke her leg! I am sure you are in more pain than she is in! :bighug:

From the data in the SS, it looks like she might be bouncing from the lows of last night and is staying in the 200s. If you consider meter variance she has been pretty flat. When did she last eat? Will you be able to monitor her for the first part of the AM cycle?

3. Staci & Ivy

Hi @Bandit's Mom thank you for your sweet comments. It’s been an awful few days and not over soon. Sigh.
    She last ate last night around + 4 with a small lc snack. Nothing overnight.
    She’s due for her meal and shot in 45 minutes.
    I’m trying not to keep repeating the same cycles of giving her the full dose, Then she drops immediately for the first 2 to 3 hours after the dose.
    It seems to be pretty consistent and we are having to boost her back up with food and last night some karo too.
    Am I handling what’s going on correctly? She keeps breaking bounces. thanks!

4. Staci & Ivy

Ready to feed and shoot in 10 minutes. 235 right now. based on last night nadir in 90s, is it safe to shoot full dose?
    (Just don’t want her to drop like a rock again like last night.). @Bandit's Mom

5. Bandit's Mom

Sorry I disappeared! It looks like you shot 3.5U? It's good you did.

It's a good thing that she isn't bouncing as high as she used to and is clearing bounces sooner. That means her body is getting used to lower numbers which is what we want. Lower numbers can be pretty scary at the beginning but become addictive as you get used to them :)

6. Staci & Ivy

Yes I did shoot 3.5. I’m glad to hear you think she’s getting used to lower numbers. Sometimes I can’t figure out what’s going on. You’re so much more experienced! I thank you for the analysis. It helps me a lot.
    Do you think I should give small snacks for the first few hours to try to keep her even, or do we only give snacks if they are dropping?
    I never know what to do when I see her dropping as her shot time is approaching, it usually indicates she’s gonna drop quickly after a shot, like last night

We are at +1, Her number went up this am after food and shot so that was good. Now I hope she can settle back down to a little lower number so my heart can rest a little bit. She’s at 300 right now.
    Thank you for the support and information @Bandit's Mom :bighug:

Bandit's Mom likes this.
  7. Bandit's Mom

She does seem to dive early in some cycles. That could be a combination of a late nadir in cycles where she is clearing a bounce and an earlier onset than usual. It might be a good idea to feed a part of her PS meal at +1 in all cycles. And feed another snack at +2. Looks like she is headed up in a bounce. A +2 will confirm that. :)

Staci & Ivy likes this.
  8. Staci & Ivy

Yes you are correct, she’s at 311 right now, at +2. I will feed snacks at +1 & 2. Hopefully that will help her.
    Again thank you for your help today!! :cat:
    You're a life saver!! @Bandit's Mom

Bandit's Mom likes this.