Kunu is out of remission

Discussion in 'Prozinc / PZI' started by Cecil, Dec 28, 2022.

1. Cecil

Cecil New Member

Hello all,
    Kunu's fructosamine showed that we need to go back on insulin - it will be 1u of ProZinc BID - I am going to get a new meter this afternoon. I was told to get the Relion Premium (Premier?) - what would "normal" or "hypo" ranger be for this meter? I have the Alphatrak (I think the original, not the 2). I have 1 test strip left to compare ranges, which I can definitely buy more if necessary. It's been a wonderful 2.5 years off the juice, but he recently received an antibiotic injection - could that have an effect on his numbers and cause this?
    Thank you,
    Kunu & Cecilia

2. Suzanne & Darcy

Suzanne & Darcy Well-Known Member

The ReliOn Premier is a good meter. You want to keep kitty above 50 on this meter (or any human meter). Lots of people on this Board use the Premier. I have one. What was the fructosamine number? If your cat had an infection (you said an antibiotic shot) then that could be what kicked him out of remission. Sorry that you are having to restart insulin.

3. Cecil

Cecil New Member

It was 565. Using the AT I only got readings of 250 as the highest recently, then back down to 170 pre-meal. Prior to that it was under 150. That's why I was so surprised to see 565. He had some bad smelling breath, but CBC was normal. Thought it was possibly his teeth, that's why the abx we're administered. I am really hoping we can get back to regulated in a few months.

4. Suzanne & Darcy

Hmmm. With those numbers not being very high, I would be cautious about starting insulin. Since fructosamine tells you about glucose over a period of several weeks and it’s possible that during those weeks he had an infection, I would do some testing first before I even bought insulin. I would take some morning readings before he eats and then test again about an hour later and perhaps get some spot checks here and there throughout the day. What is his diet? I am assuming that you still follow a low carb wet food diet?

5. Suzanne & Darcy

Anyway, if you confirm those numbers/keep getting numbers like you have said you got with the Alpha Trak, I would not start at 1 unit. I fear it would be too much. The ReliOn meter will read a little lower than the AT.

6. Cecil

Cecil New Member

I used my last AT strip to test tonight and it was 119, I couldn't get the Relion to work! I was so frustrated. But rather than administer I just sent them a message. I absolutely do not want a hypo episode.

For the Relion, do I need a calibration solution?

7. Suzanne & Darcy

See. That is a really good number as you know.
    The ReliOn meter does not need calibration.

8. Suzanne & Darcy

What happened with the ReliOn? Did you get an error message? At first, I didn’t get enough blood and so I got no reading.

9. Suzanne & Darcy

So I hope you can get the ReliOn working. Sorry you are having problems. How frustrating. I would definitely not give any insulin without finding out what is really going on with him now, in your home. 1 unit could definitely have hurt him.

10. Cecil

Cecil New Member

It was giving me a drop symbol, I put what I thought was a generous amount of blood on the strip. It said to push a button until the CTRL appeared.

11. Suzanne & Darcy

Make sure that you don’t push the strip in until just before you touch the strip to the blood (to make sure it does not “time out”) and make sure that the strip is pushed all the way in. You probably already did… but I am trying to think of something.

12. Cecil

Cecil New Member

I got it to register, I think I was putting the blood on the wrong part of the strip. Came in at 237 on that one. I'll be sure to test in the morning.

Suzanne & Darcy likes this.
  13. Suzanne & Darcy

I understand that. You just have to get used to where to touch the tip of the strip so that it kind of sucks up the blood. You have to get a feel for it.